Beef Cattle Record keeping?

Help Support CattleToday:

Shghmh

Reaction score
Hi there. We are trying start a small herd of beef cattle to raise for beef and/or 4H calves. We already have a few brood cows from in-laws herd to start with and would like to keep some records on these and others we have purchased. What do you all use for this or what do you recommend? I would like to keep written/paper records on these for quicker references when needed. I looked at Nasco and saw a couple I liked there, but am having trouble finding others elsewhere. Thanks for any help! I am a vet tech so would prefer not to get advice on how to raise them or take care of them since we have had cows for many years. Just would like the record keeping part advice! Hope someone can help! Thanks again and have a great day. If possible, can you email me at [email protected] and put record keeping in the subject line! :D

your best bet is get you some cow cards.that way you can put the cows ID on the card.an record the info there.an also use a notebook to recod info.

bigbull338":hnmf3oy2 said:
your best bet is get you some cow cards.that way you can put the cows ID on the card.an record the info there.an also use a notebook to recod info.
That's what I do. There are alot more computer programs out there but, index cards is how I started! Good Luck on your endeavor !!! :tiphat:

bigbull338":15qfr5b4 said:

Pretty much how I do it. I was given my cards from the farm where I work when they switched to a software program. The cards I use came from Nasco. I also keep a small notebook handy for quick reference.

Katherine

I still use a ledger. The wife updates a spreadsheet about 5 times during the year. Each time I print it off, fold it, and put it in the ledger until the next update.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I will look into all of those! I want something portable so we can take stuff to the barn if we need to instead of going to the computer to get the info, but I guess we could print it out. Nascos looked pretty good for what we need. Happy farming everyone!