Beef butchering videos

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I found a good video someone here on CT had posted that was about Grass fed verses Grain fed beef cuts of meat. The butchers explained alot about the cuts of meat, what part of the animal the cuts come from. Hang time, reason for hanging, weight lost from moisture evaporation etc...alot of good information in the Video. Myself I am not computer literate enough to post pictures or videos here on CT.

But for thoes of you that are and would be willing to post such videos in this section of the butcher forum. It would be a nice feature and help thoes of us like myself be able to locate these videos easier. I have looked through post after post tring to find that video to watch it again.

Thanks for posting that Little Joe maybe there will be more posted like that. That video was really good I thought.

I watched a ton of videos before butchering one last winter, and their video on breaking down the whole carcass was the most informative and comprehensive one I found. There are still things you just have to do for it to make sense, and I don't have the type of bandsaw they have, but their way of explaining and showing each cut helped me more than other similar videos.

I watched a ton of videos before butchering one last winter, and their video on breaking down the whole carcass was the most informative and comprehensive one I found. There are still things you just have to do for it to make sense, and I don't have the type of bandsaw they have, but their way of explaining and showing each cut helped me more than other similar videos.

curious, how long did it take you?

curious, how long did it take you?
It wasn't too bad. I did almost everything by myself, so of course that made everything take longer. I bet I spent close to 4 hours from the time I shot him until the carcass was split and hanging. I was unprepared for a carcass that big, so I was scrambling to find a way to get it hung up in my garage. I think I spent three or maybe four afternoons and evenings cutting, some in the garage and some in the kitchen. I didn't have much of a set up. My garage table was a sheet of plywood on a table. I cut steaks with my bandsaw. With a better set up and some help it would go a lot faster. Something that helped tremendously though was I bought a few hundred tube shaped burger bags and the tape dispenser like below. I ran the burger through the grinder and straight into the bags, then one of my boys would put the tape on.
Overall it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I actually enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Rf6de2d94e0098b006e538cf5d9bc75fb

It wasn't too bad. I did almost everything by myself, so of course that made everything take longer. I bet I spent close to 4 hours from the time I shot him until the carcass was split and hanging. I was unprepared for a carcass that big, so I was scrambling to find a way to get it hung up in my garage. I think I spent three or maybe four afternoons and evenings cutting, some in the garage and some in the kitchen. I didn't have much of a set up. My garage table was a sheet of plywood on a table. I cut steaks with my bandsaw. With a better set up and some help it would go a lot faster. Something that helped tremendously though was I bought a few hundred tube shaped burger bags and the tape dispenser like below. I ran the burger through the grinder and straight into the bags, then one of my boys would put the tape on.
Overall it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I actually enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for sharing! Living in Texas, we don't have enough consecutive cold days, but what an interesting project!

I butchered one myself years ago. It wasn't but about a 700 lb live weight calf. I have butchered alot of deer and didn't think there would be that much difference but there was. I was unprepared too.

If I ever was try it again. I would do alot of things different. The first thing would be to find a slaughter house and set up a kill date and let them do it.

You must let your beef hang a minimum of 24 hours. Venison does not need to hang. Cornell Univ used to have a butcher shop and classes. Beef Extension used to have meetings there. That was one thing they stressed. Better to hang 7-10 days. I have mine hung 14 days.

Latest posts