Beef Butchering Forum

Help Support CattleToday:

Okay, I've been away on a special project. If I create the forum, it will be temporary if not used somewhat regularly. And if a business is showing how to butcher that will be appreciated, but no advertising unless talking with me first. We could work something out.

The rest of you, please contribute.

I'll be checking on it so please make it useful.

It's moved and is the first post.

That's one big animal!

I just called my neighbor, who hauled him to the butcher for us, because I was gobsmacked at the suggestion he might have weighed 2,500 pounds, and my jaw dropped when he said it was just over 2,600. I guess this is what happens when a steer lives his life "kicked back in his recliner," so to speak. I'm still amazed...

A neighbor had a Holstein steer that had busted out of the loading area several times which ment he stayed on the farm for quite a few years. When he finally got him loaded he was 6ft tall at the shoulder and a hair over 3000 lbs

I am not sure how this new forum is supposed to work. But I am wanting to learn all of the steps involved from start to finish that is needed from the time that calf hits the ground up until it is taken out of my freezer to put on the table.

I currently have a steer that is getting close to two years old. He is a Hereford/Black Angus cross.

I am going to get him weighed this weekend so that I can get some idea of what weight I want to get him too for butchering. And so I can try to set a kill date with a slaughter house. I am wanting to grain finish him.

I thought if this is the right forum to post this and ask questions about this subject I would update the progress I make from now until I put him in the freezer.

A few years ago I took a steer to my USDA inspected butcher that was over 2 years old. My butcher said since I had no way to prove its age they couldn't leave any bones in the steak. So instead of tbones and porterhouse I had strip steaks and tenderloin. Is this still the case? And why?. I send them usually 16-18 months that one just wasn't needed at the time.

A few years ago I took a steer to my USDA inspected butcher that was over 2 years old. My butcher said since I had no way to prove its age they couldn't leave any bones in the steak. So instead of tbones and porterhouse I had strip steaks and tenderloin. Is this still the case? And why?. I send them usually 16-18 months that one just wasn't needed at the time.
Has to do with mad cow. Spine is removed after 30 months (they look at cartilage calcification). T bones are out, but filets and strips are still good

Our 5 year old has the same restriction, and the butcher explained it's just the bone in the t-bone steak that's lost - you still get the meat, just in two boneless steaks, like Hpacres said, strips and filets. I'm OK with that. Less room taken up on my plate (can you even imagine what size a t-bone would be from a 2,600 pound animal?). I'm actually glad they're doing that for me, because I'd have to do it in the kitchen, anyway.

I thought if this is the right forum to post this and ask questions about this subject I would update the progress I make from now until I put him in the freezer.

Good idea. :) People can compare notes, make suggestions on things before it's "too late," and maybe get a few new ideas that hadn't been thought of before. Learning is always good. Maybe I don't have a life, but I enjoy hearing about other people's animals and how they're doing, whether cows, dog, cats, or rats. LOL! So I for one would be interested in hearing about your steer. :)

Any body use 1lb hamburger chub bags with their own info on it? If so what kinda cost is there and how many to a case is there? I'm assuming at least a 2000 or more to get cost per bag down.

I read a lot of forums. It's me, the Misses, and 15 cows/calves. I need ALL the information I can get! The old men at the feed store are great. But narrow path of info.

Latest posts