Beef Brisket

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
First let me say that we roast a lot of hogs. We use a propane fired grill and use a very basic rub - then add seasoning as we are pulling the pork off the bone. Sometimes I will wrap a pork shoulder in foil and cook along with the hog. We usually cook around 10 hours at low temp and they turn out pretty good. I was wondering about wrapping a brisket and cooking along with the hog. Does anyone have any tips about brisket cooking ? I know this thing is going to be expensive, so I don't want to screw it up...
BB

I had a hog roast last year and cooked a brisket along side the hog. I cooked the hog for 10 hours and the brisket for 5.

I thought I burned the brisket because it turned black. It turned out great.

I don't think Brisket is more than 1.99/lb

I smoked a brisket a few weeks ago
how I do it is slow smoke them at around 250degrees for about 10 hrs then heat the fire box up to about 350-400 for the last 2-3 hrs and get the internal temp up to around 170 degrees all I put on them is some season salt and salt and pepper course ground salt and pepper work better IMO

The thing to remember on brisket is to slice it on a bias across the grain or it will tend to be stringy

I do the 250 degrees for 8 or 10 hours, but without the extra hot last couple hours. I season with fajita seasoning and a little extra garlic. Cook it 3 or 4 hours unwrapped, and then wrap it tightly in foil for the rest of the time. Usually works to just leave it on the pit as the fire goes away so it'll cool slowly. The foil catches the juices, and the cooling draws them back into the meat. In any case, let it sit undisturbed for an hour or so after taking it off the pit before cutting into it.

$2.78 a pound around here lately, market trim.

Oops, I missed the part about the propane grill the first time around. I was talking smoking with a real wood fire. Never mind...

I just put a little dry rub on it....put it on a "hot pit" for about an hour or so, then take it out....wrap in foil, "fat side up" (some put fat side down), pour a can of beer into the foil wrap with it, and then slow cook it at about 220-230 degrees for 8-10 hours.

TexasBred":2pyvzw9v said:
I just put a little dry rub on it....put it on a "hot pit" for about an hour or so, then take it out....wrap in foil, "fat side up" (some put fat side down), pour a can of beer into the foil wrap with it, and then slow cook it at about 220-230 degrees for 8-10 hours.

Just right. The only difference is I use a case of beer. One can to go into the wrap, and the rest to drink while waiting... :lol2:

grannysoo":alwuqwl6 said:
TexasBred":alwuqwl6 said:

Just right. The only difference is I use a case of beer. One can to go into the wrap, and the rest to drink while waiting... :lol2:

Granny....nobody asked us how "we got smoked". But your answer was "THE" answer. :lol2:

TexasBred":19do8h7u said:
grannysoo":19do8h7u said:
TexasBred":19do8h7u said:

Granny....nobody asked us how "we got smoked". But your answer was "THE" answer. :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Bullbuyer":347fzqh2 said:
That slicing tip is a good idea. We're gonna try it and see how it works - cooking in beer, how could you go wrong?

Bull...do it like Granny said and when all is said and done you'll think your rubber boots taste good. :lol:

TexasBred":d6zn2eqn said:
Bullbuyer":d6zn2eqn said:
That slicing tip is a good idea. We're gonna try it and see how it works - cooking in beer, how could you go wrong?

Bull...do it like Granny said and when all is said and done you'll think your rubber boots taste good. :lol:

You can't go wrong cooking most anything in beer. We had some of those beer dogs the other night and they were just great. Even my mother requests beer dogs now. (And she's BAPTIST!) :lol2:

Latest posts