Beef Brisket--Producer to Consumer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bret

Reaction score
I have been spending way to much time being a budding beef producer. This weekend I am becoming a consumer. An eleven pound untrimmed brisket was dry rubbed this morning with chilie powder, onion powder, garlic poweder, cumin, cinamon, cayanne pebber and black pepper and is lounging in the refrigerator. Sometime tonight it will go on the grill for 12 to 18 hours of indirect heat and hickory smoke.

This was supposed to be for the Super Bowl but since the Colts were not invited to Detroit, the brisket will be the main event.

Now only one more decision. While watching the smoke hour after hour--should I consume whiskey and 7-up or rum and coke?

Bret":2fwy2zz6 said:
Now only one more decision. While watching the smoke hour after hour--should I consume whiskey and 7-up or rum and coke?
Screwdriver, or Bloody Mary. BUT Vodka and Water will not give any headache or hangover at all.

I know. :lol: ;-) ;-) :lol:

Bret":2hpnazw3 said:

Don't be so closed minded. You can drink both!

Ryder":1v1pj7vu said:
la4angus":1v1pj7vu said:
Ryder":1v1pj7vu said:
But be careful. Too much coke can upset your stomach.
So that's what it was. I was wondering!!!!!!
Yep. That coke can getcha'.
I was told once, that for every ounce of hard liquor that a person drinks he/she looses 100,000 brain cells. I must of used to been another Einstein hu?. :lol: :lol:

Whiskey and coke......and cheer for the Steelers :)

Wow! Thanks for the help everybody. I don't have an extensive bar. Just a bottle left over from Canada last year that we hardly touched and a bottle of rum that my duaghter brought to me from Jamaica. Gonna have to blow the dust off of it.

I visited Maker's Mark ounce and I'm kinda fond of their product. Another time I guess.

Drop in. We'll get more buns. :D

la4angus":1hhvea12 said:
Ryder":1hhvea12 said:
la4angus":1hhvea12 said:
Ryder":1hhvea12 said:
Yep. That coke can getcha'.
I was told once, that for every ounce of hard liquor that a person drinks he/she looses 100,000 brain cells. I must of used to been another Einstein hu?. :lol: :lol:
I think all of Crowder's cohorts started out that way and ended up this way. :drink:

Crowder For President

la4angus":2k6me7b2 said:
Ryder":2k6me7b2 said:

I always blame it on the "Spoiled" ice. Rotten ice will make you sick everytime. :roll:

MikeC":1vsar2lx said:
la4angus":1vsar2lx said:
Ryder":1vsar2lx said:

I always blame it on the "Spoiled" ice. Rotten ice will make you sick everytime. :roll:
Right you are. I try to keep fresh ice all the time. If it gets spoiled or moldy always put fresh.

Bret":275p6wtx said:
This was supposed to be for the Super Bowl but since the Colts were not invited to Detroit, the brisket will be the main event.

I feel your pain!!! :( Start with the Bloody Mary 1 or 2 then switch to long neck Labatts Blue (on ice)

Yeah, I'm sorry the Colts are out too. Been a fan of them since I was in third grade and Johnny U. was running the offense. Whiskey and Coke or 7-up is a good drink, especially if the whiskey is Wild Turkey. I had a bad experience with rum a long time ago and shy away from it now. However, my Mom makes a rum cake that is incredibly delicious. Bret, if you had one of those cakes for desert after your brisket feast, you'd have a spread that couldn't be beat. :)

Monday morning quaterback--All one needs to do to be successful is to apply the wisdom offered on this board. Thanks for all of your input.

I put the meat on at 10 pm Friday and took it off at 4 pm Saturday. I unloaded feed and handled manure the old fashioned way until midafternoon Saturday. When I got home I poured a Jim Beam and Coke in a tall wide glass. I stood next to the grill in my checked flanel shirt for the final hour to wait for the brisket to cross the finish line. I contemplated,"This is the warmest February I can remember. I am truely an anthlete. In some places in TX and OK they can't grill out. Why are we going out to eat Mexican Food tonight when I have this smoked to perfection brisket."

The beef was enjoyed by everyone Sunday afternoon. Looking forward to leftovers.

Thanks again everybody. See ya back at the chuckwagon.

Bret