Beef Basics

Help Support CattleToday:

Good morning Dun...

Have you taken any of these courses? If so, what did you think of them? If not, are you going to?

Interesting link...thanks

Van

I'm too cheap. I do have an old coarse from the U of MO. Didn' take it I just have to books.
The good and the bad as I see it is that it would give a pretty good bases to strt getting the experience to keep from making some of the common mistakes. The bad is that it's probaly more slotted towards a specific environemnt. Wintering cows in NE is significantly different then wintering them in FL. Forage base would be different in other parts of the country, calving season would need adjusting as would the time of year most things are done.
For someone just getting started or thinking about it I see it as a good pre-school.

dun

I took many courses some 40 years ago in college. Forgot most of it. Got back into cattle a couple of years ago. Refreshed myself through the net and sites like this. Read everthing I could find. Problem was I could'nt get some of these cattle to go along with it. Darn things can't read. I have no dought learned more off this Q&A board than any other site I have been on. If you have a question, ask. If you say something wrong, you will be corrected. The combined experience of all the people on here is the best education one can get.

novatech":16cbmqjw said:
I took many courses some 40 years ago in college. Forgot most of it. Got back into cattle a couple of years ago. Refreshed myself through the net and sites like this. Read everthing I could find. Problem was I could'nt get some of these cattle to go along with it. Darn things can't read. I have no dought learned more off this Q&A board than any other site I have been on. If you have a question, ask. If you say something wrong, you will be corrected. The combined experience of all the people on here is the best education one can get.

Forums like this are the next step after pre-school. Justa persoanl opinion, but I think a lot of animals would be a whole lot better off if there prospective owners started with at least a basic knowledge of livestock requirements. Frequently people will recommend a manual from one state or another on livestock or books like the Story publishing book. All these kinds of courses and books would be the very basic stuff, i.e. pre-school.
I don;t have book learning and that sort of stuff wasn;t available when I was getting my feet wet. Being a blockhead I probably wouldn;t have taken advantage of it anyway. But I was fortunate to have several mentors, one of which stood head and shoulders above most of the others.
There are times I'm tempted to get involved with these types of courses, a little refresher sometimes doesn't hurt.

dun

Looking over some of you guys suggested web sites tells me you have a lot more book learning than even you think you,ve had. I really love it win you mentors disagree with each other. Opens up a lot of food for thought.

"The most important thing a man can know, is what he don,t know."

Latest posts