Beef Animal Selection 101

Help Support CattleToday:

I wish I was a little bit talla,
I wish I was a balla...
rina

Not sure where you are coming from there lakading. Do you wanna be an Taller Angus Breeder or a Taller Ballerina?

First thing to get chopped off after the ears on the kill floor is the cannon bone. That is, as long as they don't have to dump the barrel after killing a bunch of those Southern States cattle. ;-)

That Angus bull of yours looks pretty moderate from the pictures, in fact I like him better than most that I have seen posted on this site. Would he have a lot of neck extension if he were looking west instead of south lakading?

Randy

rkaiser":1u4nxa51 said:
I wish I was a balla...
rina

Not sure where you are coming from there lakading. Do you wanna be an Taller Angus Breeder or a Taller Ballerina?

First thing to get chopped off after the ears on the kill floor is the cannon bone. That is, as long as they don't have to dump the barrel after killing a bunch of those Southern States cattle. ;-)

That Angus bull of yours looks pretty moderate from the pictures, in fact I like him better than most that I have seen posted on this site. Would he have a lot of neck extension if he were looking west instead of south lakading?

Randy

Randy

Like the black guy - a lot. He might not impact the industry - but he sure nuff would impact my animals. What is their temperment like? Assume this guy is a Welsh?

Actually on this edit after a second and longer look - I like them both - got an approx weight for them?

Thnx

Bez!

rkaiser":21vz5efp said:
I wish I was a balla...
rina

Randy

I was just bein silly. :D

Yes, quite a bit of neck extension. I have a pic of him looking straight ahead. I'll post it if I get time.

Randy

Like the black guy - a lot. He might not impact the industry - but he sure nuff would impact my animals. What is their temperment like? Assume this guy is a Welsh?

Actually on this edit after a second and longer look - I like them both - got an approx weight for them?

Thnx

Bez!

Thanks Bez
Temperment is kinda like the owner. Just great until you mention Cargill or Tyson. Couldn't resist that one. Generally though BEZ, they are easy to handle. I might not compare them to Hereford in general but would certainly put them as god or beeter than Angus or any Continental cattle.

Red bull is a Polled Fullblood Welsh Black and he weighed 1656 on Jan. 17th - He'll be 2 on April 9th

Black Bull is a Polled Fullblood Welsh Black and he weighed 1635 on Jan. 17th - He'll be 2 on March 31st

The Bull that Darcy posted is a Polled Fullblood Welsh Black and he weighed 1626 on Jan. 17th - He'll be 2 on March 28th.

More on our sale page - http://www.westernrancher.com/CelticCattle.html

lakading":1m7q0s1h said:
rkaiser":1m7q0s1h said:
I wish I was a balla...
rina

Randy

I was just bein silly. :D

Yes, quite a bit of neck extension. I have a pic of him looking straight ahead. I'll post it if I get time.

Here's the pic of him looking straight ahead. Hair on the neck is a little coarse from jousting with the hay bale.

2006cattle059.jpg

Just wanted to refresh this for the sake of color. My Mouse cow in the 2nd pic, I would consider a black brockle face.

That's interesting, I haven't seen many Universe cattle that I have liked. From what I have seen that have been fairly extreme and put together by a committee.

That's not the case at all with your bull, he looks good.