Bedding

Help Support CattleToday:

Quit using those square bales as soon as you can. That's expensive, at least here it is. Coastal is $7.50 a square bale, and alfalfa is $11.50 a square bale. Those calves need the hay to eat.

Even animal bedding is less expensive, not a lot, but some, and it really covers a good bit of ground.

Alice

Saw mills may provide wood chips for free, or very low cost.

Any cheap sources of sand in your locale?

Straw is most popular with beef guys around here, but likely just as pricey.

You ever notice round hay/straw bales wasting in a pasture, well nothing wrong with some of them if they were put up right. Just make sure no mold/dust when you break them. Just go up and ask if you can have them, likely get told you are doing them a favour to haul it.

Good Luck

Kelly":23qpamv3 said:
No, I am talking early weaned beef calves.
We have had quite a few nights of below zero windchills lately. I have been using my square bales of hay but they are going way too fast!
Cornstalk bales will be your best and cheapest form of bedding in Minnesota. You could try some oat straw if that is available. Oat straw seems to get wet and stay wet cornstalks however get wet but also seem to dry out in a manure pack.

We bale all of our soybean stalks which works pretty good, we will use straw if we have to but the straw market is good around here so we try to sell all we can.

Kelly":1hvq0yi5 said:
Thanks for your ideas.
I am not talking about calving ..I have some early weaned calves that are still quite small that are getting over a cough and I just want them to have a nice dry place to stay warm on the cold & wet nights. I have been using my square bales of hay & really want to find something cheaper and with easy clean up.

I also use wood chips. I get a hold of the contractors that are clearing the power lines and give them a place to dump their loads. I bed the entire paddock with chips a couple feet deep, it just floats on top of the muck and last a whole winter whereas a round bale of straw disapears in a matter of a few days.

Latest posts