Beat this...

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2mnq8640 said:
JMJ Farms":2mnq8640 said:
callmefence":2mnq8640 said:
I'm sure you where good and cool today. But take my word for it. It was hot, and I Know hot. And not from what I see on TV.
And I wasn't sitting still either.

Didn't have the luxury of being cool today.
I think Fence was addressing me.

I'm not saying it wasn't hot, or even 112F today where he was, but am saying those vehicle indicators have a history of being notoriously inaccurate.

PWS (Personal Weather Stations) are also known to inaccurate and that too is usually because of placement. It's why there is so much difference in what NWS and entities like WeatherUnderground reports. All of WeatherUnderground uses PWS inputs from people with home weather stations in their backyard.

What is the official record high temp for Florence Texas?

I know what the 20 yr old thermometer on the outside west facing post of my porch said..102 at around 5pm.
Too hot to fish.

IDK. I was at Watson heading to lometa.
It got cooler as I went west. The nws monitoring station is in the middle of a pasture about 2 miles west of Florence.
Dang sure doesn't seem to be in the shade. Doesn't matter. The temperature can vary several degrees over just a couple hundred yards. Altitude, sun exposure, wind currents even vegetation and soil type can effect temperature.
So if you wanna spilt hairs all thermometers are useless except for what they are actually touching.
I'm sure you can find a link... ;-) because I mean if it's on the internet.................

callmefence":1xgq5ex5 said:
It got cooler as I went west. The nws monitoring station is in the middle of a pasture about 2 miles west of Florence.
Dang sure doesn't seem to be in the shade. Doesn't matter. The temperature can vary several degrees over just a couple hundred yards. Altitude, sun exposure, wind currents even vegetation and soil type can effect temperature.
So if you wanna spilt hairs all thermometers are useless except for what they are actually touching.
I'm sure you can find a link... ;-) because I mean if it's on the internet.................
I found the above, /\ /\ /\ on the internet..... /\ /\ /\

greybeard":2o3aggai said:
callmefence":2o3aggai said:
I found the above, /\ /\ /\ on the internet..... /\ /\ /\

And your welcome anytime to come and confirm anything this poster post. Perhaps you can produce a link on something you actually have experience in.

TennesseeTuxedo":3rmmh083 said:
hurleyjd":3rmmh083 said:
Official temperature stations have the thermometer in the shade and 5.5 feet above the ground.

Most of us work out in the real world not hovering 5.5 off the ground in the shade at an official temperature station.

I was passing along information from the local TV weatherman answering a question from someone that was asking why the temp may be 104 and their car shows 117. Answer was the answer I posted. You can believe it or not does not make a crap to me whether you do or not.

callmefence":39bsbvf5 said:
We can't even talk about the weather anymore without the old crumdgons butting in.

Well, when I retired I talked it over with the Big Man upstairs and he sent word I could either sit around and butt in to the young whippersnappers' talk or move down to Goliad and wile away the hours on a park bench on courthouse square, spittin' tobacco juice and watching the passerby folks .. Now I would have greatly preferred the sittin-N-spittin tobacco juice job but I never did chew and wife didn't want to move to South Texas anyway, so here I am.

When it comes your turn, I highly recommend the Goliad gig...

greybeard":23lvvqaz said:
callmefence":23lvvqaz said:
We can't even talk about the weather anymore without the old crumdgons butting in.

Well, when I retired I talked it over with the Big Man upstairs and he sent word I could either sit around and butt in to the young whippersnappers' talk or move down to Goliad and wile away the hours on a park bench on courthouse square, spittin' tobacco juice and watching the passerby folks .. Now I would have greatly preferred the sittin-N-spittin tobacco juice job but I never did chew and wife didn't want to move to South Texas anyway, so here I am.

When it comes your turn, I highly recommend the Goliad gig...
I'd have to ship in some cedar for whitlin..

hurleyjd":3dmzi425 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3dmzi425 said:
hurleyjd":3dmzi425 said:
Official temperature stations have the thermometer in the shade and 5.5 feet above the ground.

Most of us work out in the real world not hovering 5.5 off the ground in the shade at an official temperature station.

I was passing along information from the local TV weatherman answering a question from someone that was asking why the temp may be 104 and their car shows 117. Answer was the answer I posted. You can believe it or not does not make a crap to me whether you do or not.
Ok. I was checking cattle this morning and tak8ng note how the grass was holding out. Looked up and the truck said it was 135. Started back to the house and it dropped tp 90.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

But I do feel for you fellas, hope you get cooler temps and rain soon.

We had 113 Saturday. I read where Waco beat an all time record yesterday.

Last night I was putting chicken wire on the new pen. It was overcast and the wind was blowing. No welding hood and no long sleeves. I told the wife, "this aint half bad." She checked the local temp on her Iphone. 98 degrees.

Caustic Burno":b9bcqnpy said:
callmefence":b9bcqnpy said:

Ain't many old curmudgeons in the cemetery, far more young whipper snappers.
Agreed
For ever old crumdgon planted .You can bet on several whippersnappers takin a pizz..