Bearing question

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog

Reaction score
I have a 10' Landpride disc with flanged bearings. From the factory the bearing is turned towards the bearing support bracket with the grease zerk on top. They put a notch in the bracket to access the zerk but its very difficult to get a grease gun on it and hold it there to get the grease in. You can't get a lock n lube in there or I would use one of those.

So my question is, can the bearing be turned the other direction. Are they directional? If I flip it over and turn it 90 degrees the zerk is simple to get to. It seems too simple which makes me thing they are turning the flange towards the bracket for a reason. Any ideas why this might be a mistake?

The bearing looks like this
https://www.google.com/search?q=National+FD209RB+Flanged+Disc+Harrow+Bearing&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAAHeACH_CAoiDS9nLzExZjVqYmQxa3BiEDY3NjBlYmJmOWIwYjA2OGH6ARBQb3B1bGFyIHByb2R1Y3RzmAIBiAUCogUsTmF0aW9uYWwgRkQyMDlSQiBGbGFuZ2VkIERpc2MgSGFycm93IEJlYXJpbmfABZz8yO_6zLHyXsAFnpKo_bnozdcnwAXLqsWguYyw_osBwAXqt8SI_KPM3Y4BwAXQ1e6Xkfeu9c8BwAWKxoyni-qKy3TABfjTgub48Pu10AHABYqTj_a2jY38lwHABe6nwpbs7dO1EMAF8MDiz9KK6fJdu6NEON4AAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjxhNbD-ubqAhUvgK0KHbzlBFcQ9f8EegQICxAG&biw=1408&bih=668

I see no reason it would hurt to turn it. It is probably on top to aid with grease working down due to gravity. But if the bearing is greased regularly I don't think that would even be an issue. Just my thoughts.

bird dog said:
I have a 10' Landpride disc with flanged bearings. From the factory the bearing is turned towards the bearing support bracket with the grease zerk on top. They put a notch in the bracket to access the zerk but its very difficult to get a grease gun on it and hold it there to get the grease in. You can't get a lock n lube in there or I would use one of those.

So my question is, can the bearing be turned the other direction. Are they directional? If I flip it over and turn it 90 degrees the zerk is simple to get to. It seems too simple which makes me thing they are turning the flange towards the bracket for a reason. Any ideas why this might be a mistake?

The bearing looks like this
https://www.google.com/search?q=National+FD209RB+Flanged+Disc+Harrow+Bearing&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAAHeACH_CAoiDS9nLzExZjVqYmQxa3BiEDY3NjBlYmJmOWIwYjA2OGH6ARBQb3B1bGFyIHByb2R1Y3RzmAIBiAUCogUsTmF0aW9uYWwgRkQyMDlSQiBGbGFuZ2VkIERpc2MgSGFycm93IEJlYXJpbmfABZz8yO_6zLHyXsAFnpKo_bnozdcnwAXLqsWguYyw_osBwAXqt8SI_KPM3Y4BwAXQ1e6Xkfeu9c8BwAWKxoyni-qKy3TABfjTgub48Pu10AHABYqTj_a2jY38lwHABe6nwpbs7dO1EMAF8MDiz9KK6fJdu6NEON4AAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjxhNbD-ubqAhUvgK0KHbzlBFcQ9f8EegQICxAG&biw=1408&bih=668
As far as the bearing goes there should not be a problem if spacing is OK.
'
shopping

I'm not really following the "bracket" part. But would a 90-degree zerk work?

The bracket in question is really the disc hanger. It hangs off the main frame and has the bearings bolted to the bottom with the axle going through it. I tried 90 degree zerks and 45 degree ones. The 45's will work somewhat but you can't get either one tighten all the way down due to the distance between the hole and the flange. Its too close to twist it.

callmefence said:
What about something like this.
They can be found in various lengths

https://www.huyett.com/products/grease-fittings-lubrication/fittings/grease-fittings/h1684z3

That one won't work but it looks like some on that site might work well. They have a long 90 degree one that should clear where it binds on the flange.
Thanks