Bearing Buddies

Help Support CattleToday:

fence_it

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2017
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Location
way out west
How well do they actually work? Got a couple new trailers with them and I'm skeptical. I'm used to manually packing them, usually twice a year as our trailers get 40-50k miles a year on them.
 

cfpinz

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2005
Messages
6,246
Reaction score
277
Location
Virginia
No complaints with the ones I've owned, other than the fact I tend to overgrease and it winds up all over the wheels.

I tend to give the trailers with them more attention, as it's much more convenient to pop a rubber plug out and grease them than go through the trouble of disassembly.
 

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Joined
Apr 19, 2007
Messages
10,405
Reaction score
2,209
Location
Gulf Coast of South Texas
Ive never understood them. Ive always been told if you pack them right with a quality grease you shouldnt need to add any.

Hopefully some one can chime in on the purpose.
 

skyhightree1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
20,340
Reaction score
601
Location
Free Rent ,VA
fence_it":1t3f5r1u said:
How well do they actually work? Got a couple new trailers with them and I'm skeptical. I'm used to manually packing them, usually twice a year as our trailers get 40-50k miles a year on them.

I like them a lot and run on most trailers but I will tell you this if you hit a lot of bumps sometimes they pop out
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,725
Reaction score
1,264
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
I would guess the squeeze grease out the inside and that contaminates the brakes.. could be one of my problems with weak brakes right now
 

True Grit Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
9,453
Reaction score
4
Location
Middle Georgia
fence_it":18yh2blg said:
True Grit Farms":18yh2blg said:
Do not use buddy bearings on hubs with electric brakes, other than that I like them.

Why is that?
There's no real benefit to using buddy bearings if your not going to grease them regularly. The rear hub seal can't hold any pressure so the grease ends up on the brake shoes.
 

True Grit Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
9,453
Reaction score
4
Location
Middle Georgia
Nesikep":2n91t260 said:
I would guess the squeeze grease out the inside and that contaminates the brakes.. could be one of my problems with weak brakes right now
If If you don't want to pull the hubs, squirting brake clean between the drum and backing plate will get you by for a while. I've fought this battle for 20+ with boat trailers. If you don't keep the hub packed full of grease saltwater gets in the bearings, and packing the hubs the grease gets on the brakes. I'd rather have good bearings than good brakes most of the time.
 

Atimm693

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 14, 2016
Messages
962
Reaction score
269
Real bearing buddies have a relief port that is supposed to prevent blowing grease past the wheel seal.

I think they're better than nothing, but not as good as easy lube spindles, which have the zerk on the spindle, not the cap.
 

cfpinz

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2005
Messages
6,246
Reaction score
277
Location
Virginia
Atimm693":1rmolnm5 said:
I think they're better than nothing, but not as good as easy lube spindles, which have the zerk on the spindle, not the cap.

That's actually what I was referring to, I had forgot about the actual Bearing Buddy assembly - no experience with them.
 

Texasmark

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2017
Messages
1,122
Reaction score
6
Location
N. Texas
I've used them for years on boat trailers. Only had one problem over the years and I may have overpacked it....was running down the highway and it just blew out and disappeared. Other side held.

I don't worry about refilling them as long as the spring loaded disc is centered in the Buddy:

Empty the spring pushes the disc toward the axle. As you install grease the disc pushes against the spring and moves toward you. The spring loading of the disc is what keeps the water out. When you see the disc back against the inner stop it means that the grease has migrated inside the hub and you need to add more. Keep track of it till it quits moving in and your hub will be packed.

Too much grease, aka running the disc all the way out to the stop and continuing to pump grease in can push your inner seal out if the hub is full. That's why I only fill half way on the disc movement.
 

Atimm693

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 14, 2016
Messages
962
Reaction score
269
Texasmark":prpbtj1x said:
I've used them for years on boat trailers. Only had one problem over the years and I may have overpacked it....was running down the highway and it just blew out and disappeared. Other side held.

I don't worry about refilling them as long as the spring loaded disc is centered in the Buddy:

Empty the spring pushes the disc toward the axle. As you install grease the disc pushes against the spring and moves toward you. The spring loading of the disc is what keeps the water out. When you see the disc back against the inner stop it means that the grease has migrated inside the hub and you need to add more. Keep track of it till it quits moving in and your hub will be packed.

Too much grease, aka running the disc all the way out to the stop and continuing to pump grease in can push your inner seal out if the hub is full. That's why I only fill half way on the disc movement.

There is supposed to be a relief hole on the side of the housing. Once the disc moves past it (just before it bottoms out), grease just runs out of the hole instead of blowing out the seals. That is until the hole gets plugged with crap and dried up grease.
 

True Grit Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
9,453
Reaction score
4
Location
Middle Georgia
A seal is designed to keep stuff in or keep stuff out. On some equipment you use one seal to keep water out and another to keep oil in the engine and on the bearing.
 

Texasmark

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2017
Messages
1,122
Reaction score
6
Location
N. Texas
Atimm693":2h7o8wfx said:
Texasmark":2h7o8wfx said:
I've used them for years on boat trailers. Only had one problem over the years and I may have overpacked it....was running down the highway and it just blew out and disappeared. Other side held.

I don't worry about refilling them as long as the spring loaded disc is centered in the Buddy:

Empty the spring pushes the disc toward the axle. As you install grease the disc pushes against the spring and moves toward you. The spring loading of the disc is what keeps the water out. When you see the disc back against the inner stop it means that the grease has migrated inside the hub and you need to add more. Keep track of it till it quits moving in and your hub will be packed.

Too much grease, aka running the disc all the way out to the stop and continuing to pump grease in can push your inner seal out if the hub is full. That's why I only fill half way on the disc movement.

There is supposed to be a relief hole on the side of the housing. Once the disc moves past it (just before it bottoms out), grease just runs out of the hole instead of blowing out the seals. That is until the hole gets plugged with crap and dried up grease.

That may have been a later add-on. Do not remember such and I've had several sets on different trailers and had them apart for cleaning. But yea-verily. If they put it in and it works great. My Ferris ZT has such a relief hole in the spindles.
 

Texasmark

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2017
Messages
1,122
Reaction score
6
Location
N. Texas
Atimm693":22krooto said:
Real bearing buddies have a relief port that is supposed to prevent blowing grease past the wheel seal.

I think they're better than nothing, but not as good as easy lube spindles, which have the zerk on the spindle, not the cap.

BBs are for the guy/gal that doesn't have the "wet spindle" and has to make do otherwise. No question about which is better. Forrest Wood's Rangertrail trailers to support his Ranger boats has one of the best axles I have seen.
 

BigBear

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2016
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Ohio
Texasmark hit it on the head. They are designed to boat trailers. Sticking hot bearings in cold water does play some he!! on wheel bearings. I’m an overgreaser as well but I’m in recovery lol. With the buddies, I grease until the plate starts to move outward then stop. I usually put 3 full pumps in each side before long trips. I have not had an issue with electric trailer brakes on my trailers. I have buddies on my camper and stock trailer. I have been pleased with them. They are expensive but do save the time it takes to manually grease the wheel bearings which is worth it to me. But I also haven’t put significant miles on either trailer.
 

Latest posts

Top