Beards: NON-politically correct Psycho-Social Reasons

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Guess I'm bored...again...lol. Got to thinking (bad) why some men have beards, lip beards, chin beards. Here are some frivolous reasons by Psychologists and Sociologists: (Not in order of importance or frequency:

Hide facial defects (Hair lips, pock marks, scars, etc.)
Don't have, can't find, can't afford a razor.
Too lazy to shave (or no mirror available).
Girlfriend or wife likes them.
Peer pressure.
Wants to be "one of the bunch", one of the crowd.
Reverse Evolution.
Hide skin from sun and weather.
Like to get food on/in their hair to age.
Have a home for pet bugs.
Get on a reality TV show (Duck dynasty, Bush people, etc.)
Think it's "sexy".
Advertise that they are "male", not female.
Want to be like another family member.

My maternal grandfather was totally gross with his hair! His beard, mouth hair, etc. totally prevented anyone from seeing his mouth...guess he never tried to eat messy foods...lol.

Enough for now...probably too much information...lol.

Running Arrow Bill":e2vyzyto said:
Guess I'm bored...again...lol. Got to thinking (bad) why some men have beards, lip beards, chin beards. Here are some frivolous reasons by Psychologists and Sociologists: (Not in order of importance or frequency:

Hide facial defects (Hair lips, pock marks, scars, etc.)
Don't have, can't find, can't afford a razor.
Too lazy to shave (or no mirror available).
Peer pressure.
Wants to be "one of the bunch", one of the crowd.
Reverse Evolution.
Like to get food on/in their hair to age.
Have a home for pet bugs.
Get on a reality TV show (Duck dynasty, Bush people, etc.)
Think it's "sexy".
Advertise that they are "male", not female.
Want to be like another family member.

Does just plain ugly qualify as a facial defect? That's why I have mine.

I really don't know why I have mine. Grew it when I was working in Alaska in '78 a just never shaved it off. I keep it trimmed up fairly short so it doesn't catch food. I guess it has been there so long now that it is just part of me.

I've never had a beard but a well trimmed neat beard looks nice on some guys. Can't stand the looks of the long mangy unkept nasty looking ones though.

Running Arrow Bill":1tvrn4w6 said:
I first grew one for the second reason as my family has a long history of skin cancer and I have a few changing freckles on my face. My then young bride not pleased at all and wouldn't let me touch her for about two weeks but the first time I kissed her neck... :tiphat:
I'm back to shaving down to a mustache once every five days or so for now but it's only because beards are back in style and I really hate being in style.

Red Bull Breeder":37vubkr0 said:
Shaving is close to insanity, some people shave every day. It always grows back. Seems a waste of time to me.
You do wipe your a$$ after every dump I hope :mrgreen: :hide: I realize it's a waste of time but... :kid:

I don't like shaving and will get scruffy but always shave and have never grown a beard or mustache because of a story my dad told me when he was in the service about a fella that approached him in the bathroom who wore a mustache. My dad was what you might call a hay seed and had never heard of a man who was light in his loafers. He called the mustache a c*&k mop and this always kept me from ever growing one even though I know it has no bearing on anyone's sexual orientation. I guess I'm scarred.

What's funny is he thought everyone with long hair was light in their loafers. Thought men should wear their hair high and tight with locks of hair never coming close to their ears. Funny thing was my high school principle wore his hair just in that fashion and he thought he was the best thing since sliced bread and tried to set my sister up with him. Funny thing though was he was single because he was a queer as a three dollar bill. Dad was floored when I told him so.

TexasBred":24z61kvt said:
Red Bull Breeder":24z61kvt said:
Shaving is close to insanity, some people shave every day. It always grows back. Seems a waste of time to me.
You do wipe your a$$ after every dump I hope :mrgreen: :hide: I realize it's a waste of time but... :kid:

LOL!!! Only with the left hand TB.

I keep my beard short most summers and long all winters. It grows there, it is supposed to be there. I even beleive I look better with it. I keep my hair long too. People call me Jesus, think I am an outlaw biker, a viking, a hippie or a muslim fundamentalist. I tell them "no, I am a christian but you got the other things right" :banana:
I have kept my beard since I got out of the military some seventeen years ago.

Reverse Evolution lol I could be accused of that. I hated being told to shave in school and jobs so now that I work for myself it is full on beard. I have them trim it whenever I get a hair cut but other than that I leave it alone.

wacocowboy":67wg2hd4 said:
Reverse Evolution lol I could be accused of that. I hated being told to shave in school and jobs so now that I work for myself it is full on beard. I have them trim it whenever I get a hair cut but other than that I leave it alone.
It takes a pretty talented person to wear a full beard and still be able to eat without having gravy, grease, ketchup and snot dried in all that beard. But most are able to do it. Occasionally you'll see one that looks like it needs to go through the pot scrubber cycle on the dishwasher.

cause I just don't give a rat's behind what other people think other than my wife.
(and the fact that I had to stay close shaven every single day and fresh haircut for 9 continuous years of the youthful part of my life.)

Latest posts