Bear

Help Support CattleToday:

This morning I found bear tracks and poop out in front of the house. Medium size black bear. The poop was from apples. The apple tree is about 40 feet from the house. It is bear season and I have a tag. I wonder how apple fed bear tastes?
AWSOME... and it's the right time of year for a good finish on the bear. Might be better just before snow, but it should have plenty of fat on it by now.

I wonder how apple fed bear tastes?
I have no interest in finding out. I've got a pound of ground bear meat
that's been in my freezer for 3 years. Given to me by a friend who didn't
want it, but he received it from a friend of his more than 5 years ago.

It has all the appeal of a regifted Christmas fruitcake. :)
I suppose one day it'll get fed to the cat.

Last edited:
Black bear is fine eating if you do it right. However I cannot endorse eating 8 yr. old freezer burned burger. A roast, stew or my personal favorite BBQ is fantastic.

If you don't want to eat him he is of little threat and only a nuisance. If you feed birds he will move on to the feeders next when the apple are gone though. They are every where here now.

I've had bears around all summer, one recently chewed holes in a new hose on my diesel tank. They are on the hit list now!

We have a big bear up around the corn field... it made a mess of about a 100x200 area in the sorghum sudan but have not torn up the corn much yet... hopefully that will get chopped in a week and stop the temptation. There is a sow with 2 cubs that has been seen several times and another that is probably her yearling/2 yr old ... a sow with one cub was around a year or 2 ago so we figure they are an established set here. The big one is most likely a male and people that hunt around here that have seen it says it is 400 lbs or more... BIG.....but now that it is tearing things up it is fair game....
Apple fed bear meat is good. You have to make sure you cook it up on a rack so any fat drips off... I have eaten bear a couple of times and it is decent. would not especially want burger, but anything to make something like BBQ would be okay.

I've skinned enough bears that the unusual smell of their fat lingers in my brain and now I can't stand the smell of it cooking and I can even smell it in the final cooked product. Hard pass for me. And I am the furthest thing from being a picky eater.

Yesterday I thought I figured out where Mr Bear was coming down off the hill. So I set up a trail camera. This morning at the crack of dawn I sneak up there to ambush Mr Bear. I just stayed a short time as the wind was wrong. I swung down by the camera. No pictures. So I head back to the house.

The apple tree is right in the corner of the yard. So 3/4 of the apples fall out side the yard and about 1/4 of them fall in the yard. We have been keeping the wind falls picked up in the yard. Yesterday afternoon I raked up those apples. Two 5 gallon buckets full to the top. I hadn't hauled them off. This morning about the top third of both buckets are gone. Some time in the night Mr Bear came in and helped himself. Me and this bear are about to do war.

Bears love sugar. City folk use unsaleable candy and bakery goods as bait.

Meat is a strong second. You may need one of those old BM cows...

Bears love sugar. City folk use unsaleable candy and bakery goods as bait.

Meat is a strong second. You may need one of those old BM cows...
Old bake good work good. Old cooking grease works too. They also love a good greasy peanut butter. I know people who had good luck with molasses soaked ground grain. But it is illegal to bait bears here. I am just trying to ambush an apple thief. I need to figure out where he is at during daylight hours.

One made the mistake of walking up my driveway just before dark, he got introduced to Henry x-model!

Could the bear have been just passing thru?

Not long after I moved from Craig Colorado there was a sow and her cubs that passed right thru town. I grew up there and never heard of one going thru town; I lived there for about 35 years.

Could the bear have been just passing thru?

Not long after I moved from Craig Colorado there was a sow and her cubs that passed right thru town. I grew up there and never heard of one going thru town; I lived there for about 35 years.
The bear was here for over a week eating apples. Several of the neighbors a couple miles away have had bear hanging around their places. One saw a bear. Maybe one of them has better tasting apples of some other groceries.

They tear every thing up down there. They will destroy a feeder or blind or aby thing else they find.
That bear tore the motor off that one.
He contacted TPWD and told told them the bear had a limp and was tearing his stuff up, they weren't concerned and told him to quit feeding and it would go away, it left for a while but came back later.

Latest posts