Bear Season in Virginia

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Hunting bear with dogs opens in my part of Virginia tomorrow. Highest point in KY is just outside our hunt lease. Will be in the teens up high. Will post some pictures in the next 5 weeks if anyone is interested. I will probably hunt a couple days a week until after Christmas then more. Not interested in killing one but like hearing the dogs run and tree them.

Hunting bear with dogs opens in my part of Virginia tomorrow. Highest point in KY is just outside our hunt lease. Will be in the teens up high. Will post some pictures in the next 5 weeks if anyone is interested. I will probably hunt a couple days a week until after Christmas then more. Not interested in killing one but like hearing the dogs run and tree them.
It's more about the dogs than the shooting. There's a lot about the mountain life that these cats on the flats won't get.

Funny, I was just thinking that deer season was ending, and if you were going to slow down in your "retirement" to do more BEAR chasing this year???!!!! Glad to hear you are....

Had to fix that !!!!!

Last edited:
What kinda hounds you got, Kenny?

Headed out this morning myself. Will hunt pretty much everyday my group does til' it is over. Good luck Kenny hope y'all get some good chases in.

Like to see pictures of your dogs. I coon hunted for years and listening to the dogs was the best part.

I get it! I grew up my dad was an avid coon hunter. He just loved hunting with his redbones.
We coon, deer and squirrel hunted for years with old Red.
One of the few times I saw my dad cry was when old Red died.

Need audio with pictures.

Got to take a trip to Richmond iowa Wednesday to drop Thursday and then pick up a load in Albia, Iowa and back to eastern TN. No more bear hunting until next week.

I actually don't have any, just tag along with some friends. Every kind of mutt out there.
The only thing better than having a dog or boat is having a buddy that does. I passed a truck in Nicklesville yesterday with two of those suped up coons in the back. I hope you kill a pile of them.

The two spotted dogs on the left look like Walker hounds, developed here in the county where I live, to use for fox hunting. They are now found nearly world wide and are used for variety of small and large game.
A strain of the breed will tree and is known as the Treeing Walker. Walkers are a faster dog than the older hound breeds and excelled in the competitive hunts with judges and trophies.
Much of my misspent youth was spent following hounds like these for coons. It was the sound of the hounds that was so addictive. We never shot one. We would either squall them out or someone would shinny up the tree and shake them out for the dogs.
Our county is now too built up for coon hunting and the new neighbors are less understanding than those of 50 years ago.

The two spotted dogs on the left look like Walker hounds, developed here in the county where I live, to use for fox hunting. They are now found nearly world wide and are used for variety of small and large game.
A strain of the breed will tree and is known as the Treeing Walker. Walkers are a faster dog than the older hound breeds and excelled in the competitive hunts with judges and trophies.
Much of my misspent youth was spent following hounds like these for coons. It was the sound of the hounds that was so addictive. We never shot one. We would either squall them out or someone would shinny up the tree and shake them out for the dogs.
Our county is now too built up for coon hunting and the new neighbors are less understanding than those of 50 years ago.
Yes they are walker or at least mostly. Where we bear hunt they can run for miles and only cross old mine roads. No people, no houses, 1 landowner. An energy company from Texas owns 63,000 acres in that one block. We lease about 14,000 of it.
When I was young we could hunt for most of the night and it didn't really matter whose land we were on. Lots of here has changed also.

I hunted 3 days this week. We ran bears everyday and took 2. I saw 6 bears in all. Lost my pistol on the mountain Thursday took a metal detector up yesterday and found it. Loaned to a boy 2 hrs. later to take a bear. Had a great week all in all. Got honeydo duty today but will be back on the mountain again next week when they drop the tailgate. Tired and sore but damn I love it!

Latest posts