Bear attack

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":uf7hwytr said:
A hunting partner of mine has a friend who killed a bear with a homemade spear. A large heavy spear, throwing it down out of a tree stand (almost straight down). Not to be out done my buddy decided to kill one with a rock. So he gets a 50 pound rock into a tree stand 30 feet up a tree. He put a large flat boulder below his stand and poured honey and peanut butter on top of that boulder. He planned to drop his 50 pound rock on the bear's head while it licked the bait. The bear never cooperated by standing in the right place so we never found out if it would work. But if it had he would probably be the first person in a long long time to kill a bear with a rock.
Dave

Now this is what I call TRUE SPORTSMANSHIP. :lol: Friend of mine jumped from a tree with bowie knife and strattled a deer plunging knife between shoulder blades of deer. We drug both out of woods. Deer died. Max had punctured lungs, lacerations and many many bruises. I prefer a head shot with a .270. Lot less trouble. ;-)

Dave":2hywgyez said:
A hunting partner of mine has a friend who killed a bear with a homemade spear. A large heavy spear, throwing it down out of a tree stand (almost straight down). Not to be out done my buddy decided to kill one with a rock. So he gets a 50 pound rock into a tree stand 30 feet up a tree. He put a large flat boulder below his stand and poured honey and peanut butter on top of that boulder. He planned to drop his 50 pound rock on the bear's head while it licked the bait. The bear never cooperated by standing in the right place so we never found out if it would work. But if it had he would probably be the first person in a long long time to kill a bear with a rock.
Dave

Is there something in the water on the west coast as ya'll seem to have a high percentage of loose screws. Cause is known in the South to be linked to family reunions.
Either this thread is filled with a bunch of liars trying to one up each other on hunting stories or these boys family tree is a stump. I bet most of these bad boy hunters would cry like a school girl in the woods after dark.

Caustic Burno":2l8y9au4 said:
Dave":2l8y9au4 said:
Dave

Is there something in the water on the west coast as ya'll seem to have a high percentage of loose screws. Cause is known in the South to be linked to family reunions.
Either this thread is filled with a bunch of liars trying to one up each other on hunting stories or these boys family tree is a stump. I bet most of these bad boy hunters would cry like a school girl in the woods after dark.

Family tree is a stick with no branches.

dun

cfpinz":xmfauuw7 said:
There was an update in today's paper for anyone who cares, a little more explanation. When I got to the point where this is his third bear attack, can't help but think this fella needs another sport, like ping-pong.

http://www.newsvirginian.com/servle...icArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191822836&path=

In yet another incident, a fellow hunter shot him after mistaking him for a turkey. Hensley also once broke his back falling out of a tree stand.

That is a quote from the article. It is inaccurate. The "fellow hunter" did NOT "mistake him for a TURKEY". The fellow hunter was right on target.

I guaranteen this guy is sharp as a whip, he is a very very successful business man and he is a very experienced outdoorsman. I never said he didn't have a gun on him for back up. And it was a big gun. He never dropped the rock because the bear, who was there 30 feet below him, was never in exactly the right place where he was sure the rock would kill him. He would only have done it if sure of a clean kill.
When you live in an area where seeing bears is a regular event. Weekly or maybe even daily. Bears are not as big a deal as they are in an area where they are fairly rare.
Dave