Beam scales how realible are they?

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
If they appear to be working (table floats) and they are zeroed they should be considered pretty accurate?
I forgot to take a test weight and am wondering about them now.

dj":1fxd4v5x said:
If they appear to be working (table floats) and they are zeroed they should be considered pretty accurate?
I forgot to take a test weight and am wondering about them now.

Used them for years.

Accurate - you bet.

But .... they are only as good as the person using them, the base they are set up on, and how much rocking the cow does when she is being weighed.

Be that as it may - I used them - I like them and I would use them again.

Same thing applies to digitals - you get within 5 - 10 pounds what more do you really want.

One big drink, one pi$$ or one crap changes it all anyways. :D

If you are chatting about the small ones - I used to have a good one that weighed to - I think 75 pounds - until someone "borrowed" it out of the shop. I had some of those certified weights to put on the scale. It always seemd to be good to me. Too bad it is gone - it was over 100 years old.

Have a good one.

Bez?

Thanks Bez?
I just let it down on the ground. Fairly level or at least the table didn't seem to bind anywhere. Cables all seemed to be in good condition. Did have to rezero twice I assumed because of accumulation?

dj":361wvm1o said:
Thanks Bez?
I just let it down on the ground. Fairly level or at least the table didn't seem to bind anywhere. Cables all seemed to be in good condition. Did have to rezero twice I assumed because of accumulation?

Accumulation equalling "stretch"?

If so yes. If you ever change the cables you will have to recalibrate several times - eventually all the stretch seems to go away.

I zeroed them out on the big one at the start of every weigh day. Then I would check it with a known weight about every 10 cows. Takes only about 30 seconds.

The little one I used to have some 1,2,3,5,10 pound weights that I could set on the scale to check - worked like a charm.

Some of them are worth a lot of money now. If yours is for sale I will start the bidding at 10 bucks. :D

Bez?

Ya gotta be kidding. Equipment like that is to expensive for this pup. A local feed store owns them and loans them out. They get alot of abuse I'm sure. When I got this one home the hand brake on the squeze panel was all jacked up. And the latch on the back table lock didn't work. Got that all fixed so at least it works something like it was supposed to. So after all that I forgot to step up and weigh myself for a check. The accumulation is cowpoo. Like you said in the first post they can void 5-6 lbs. So after 6 or 7 the empty weight would have to be adjusted to make up for what was left by others before them. I guess I could have just let it go. But..........