Beach fishing with Dad

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Before I headed to Europe, just after the harvest season had finished Dad and I went about 3 hours from town for the weekend to one of his 'secret beaches'. It was Australia Day weekend and normally all the beaches are packed, this beach didn't have a person for at least 20km either way so it must have been pretty hidden. We wanted to fish for gummy shark but there was too much wind so we just gone some sand whiting and I got a couple of skippy. I go home for uni holidays soon so I'll have to try and bribe the other half to come fishing with me :lol2: How many of you guys would need to be asked twice to come fishing???

The beach on an overcast day
n518128641_549606_4774.jpg

Dad walking on the beach with his retired cattle/sheep dog
n518128641_549607_5082.jpg

Dad with a whiting. I know it looks small :lol: but it's big for what it is.
n518128641_549609_5778.jpg

One morning's catch. I don't know if you guys get the same fish as we do so the thin ones are the whiting, sand whiting in this case and the larger silver one is a skippy.
n518128641_549610_6095.jpg

Another beach view just because it's nice
n518128641_549613_7079.jpg

ga. prime":23ybuotz said:
I love whiting. The fillets fry up perfectly for fish tacos which I make at least once a week.

Have you ever seen those electric blue whiting? I caught one once. No one knew what it was so no one wanted to eat it so it sat in my freezer for a few months till we found out what it was. Turns out it's a abnormal one that hangs out with the sand whiting.

We also get King George whiting which can get up to about 40cm long.

No, I've never seen the blue one. I'm not sure of the proper name for the common whiting caught on the Georgia coast but they look very similar in size and appearance to the ones you have pictured.

If you have a boyfriend who can't be persuaded to go fishing, you need to bait up that hook and fish for a new boyfriend.LOL

Great pictures.!

Nice pics, love the one of the surf and the hills in the distance.
When you live right smack in the center of North America many never see an ocean. I've walked the ocean beaches a few times, one day I'm going fishing. :nod:

mnmtranching":3h4sdtd8 said:
Nice pics, love the one of the surf and the hills in the distance.
When you live right smack in the center of North America many never see an ocean. I've walked the ocean beaches a few times, one day I'm going fishing. :nod:

Unlucky. You'd probably appreciate it more than I though, it's from my home town so I've grown up with it. A few times it's been named one of the best coastal strips in Australia. Good fishing too right the way through. Like I say the wind was wrong otherwise I may have had some Gummy sharks to show :p

Next time. :lol2:

ga. prime":1qwiwcc3 said:
No, I've never seen the blue one. I'm not sure of the proper name for the common whiting caught on the Georgia coast but they look very similar in size and appearance to the ones you have pictured.
The Whiting you eat in Ga. ain't those---Those are what we in NC call Va. Mullet !! I fish for them in the fall and they are FANTASTIC !!! :tiphat:

Aww. Poor catch. It was good anyway just being out of town. We'd only just finished the harvest season (I was working with my Dad on the grain bins) so we just wanted to chill. Like I said, we wanted to get these guys but the weather just wasn't playing.

gummy_shark.jpg

aussie_cowgirl":2eruapg5 said:
Aww. Poor catch. It was good anyway just being out of town. We'd only just finished the harvest season (I was working with my Dad on the grain bins) so we just wanted to chill. Like I said, we wanted to get these guys but the weather just wasn't playing.

gummy_shark.jpg

Well it sounds like you folks had a great time. Time with parents is special for all involved. Do it again soon. :clap:

Awesome pics! Makes me want to grab a rod and head south. I love saltwater fishing because you never know what you are going to catch!

SkinMan":a0sxm3wa said:
Awesome pics! Makes me want to grab a rod and head south. I love saltwater fishing because you never know what you are going to catch!
Those offshore Oil Rigs down your way are fantastic fishing grounds !! :)

Latest posts