Be smart and alert

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Wife was getting ready to give a newborn a selenium shot about 3:30 this morning, and got knocked on her butt by one of the kids' past 4H heifers. I was right there and got after the cow right away, but it can happen in the blink of an eye, even with a "gentle" cow.

I hope your wife is alright. The 'gentle' ones are the worst because we tend to not expect it from them, thus are not as alert as we should be. I've been guilty of that, too.

I too hope your wife is alright. Ir seems like not only do we trust those gentle ones a bit too much, but they feel more comfortable invading our space that the others. It's easy to forget sometimes when even the most gentle heifer has her 1st calf.

its no fun having new mommas butt you in the backside.im lucky in that ive never had a cow knock me a winding yet.but i watch the cows real close.

She's fine. Just a little manure on her coveralls. Just time for a reminder that you can't take that new mama's behavior for granted. Calf is wearing a new eartag and hiding in the woods from the cold now. Almost time to go check the heifers before bed. Had to use the jack twice already and we aren't but just barely started. :(

jkwilson":3spzdlb4 said:
She's fine. Just a little manure on her coveralls. Just time for a reminder that you can't take that new mama's behavior for granted. Calf is wearing a new eartag and hiding in the woods from the cold now. Almost time to go check the heifers before bed. Had to use the jack twice already and we aren't but just barely started. :(

Any IN her overalls? Sorry, could not resist. :shock: :D :D

my nephew came down with his girlfriend.an he wanted her to see the new calf that was born.so they took the 4 wheeler to the pasture.he put 4 wheeler tween cow an calf an let his gf try to pet the calf.well momma didnt like them messing with her baby.so they jumped on 4 wheeler real fast.an left them alone.

just to add....always keep the calf between you and the momma. A second person to watch the cow is ideal.

Latest posts