Be Careful, folks!

Help Support CattleToday:

Phil in Tupelo

Reaction score
The paper this morning indicated a 38 year old farmer was last seen at 5 p.m. last night and when he did not come in at the normal time his wife went looking. Found the tractor and baler running but no husband. Called 911 and the responder's found him inside his baler. So young and such a waste. Baling hay or working cows, be careful!

Didn't know them but the family needs our prayers!

Phil in Tupelo

This will be very traumatic for his family for years to come. They will forever think of it any time a family member does any work with a baler or other farm equipment.

That sends shivers down my spine! Prayers for the family.

Michele

people always jump off a running tractor to go do something.an they leave the baler running.an thats asking for trouble.i know that was a sad sight to find that guy in the baler.

I always hate hearing those kind of stories...sad for the entire family. They are good reminders to all of us to ALWAYS be extra careful when working with, on, or around farm equipment. I have known two men in my life that gotten killed by their tractors pulling a brushog, just because they failed to put on the emergency brake when they got off to check something out. Also, since its nearly always hay time somewhere; you can never be too careful when loading, unloading, or rolling out those big bales of hay. Know the height limits of your front end loader, and keep the bales low when moving them. Also, I can tell you from experience, that you can NOT jump off of a tractor quick enough if it is turning over, nor is it a good time trying to pull yourself out from under a tractor that is upside down on top of you, running.

That is a sad, but not unusual story. Farming / ranching is a dangerous occupation. Everyone needs to always do everything they can to minimize the risks involved.

When checking on my baler, I normally leave the tractor running, but the pto and baler get turned off. All it takes is one small mistake and you can end up dead.

Whether dealing with equipment or cows, you always need to be careful.

I can't tell you how many times I've jumped down from the tractor to get the twine started so it will tie properly. Every time I think "that was a dumb thing to do."

What a shame.

Latest posts