Be careful about what's in the truck bed

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Kid in Ennis got impailed by a crowbar that was in the bed of the truck after he and his mom were rear ended in a storm yesterday. Kid, who was ten, I think, was in the back seat of a Ford Ranger, the crowbar went through the bed, into the back seat, impailing the kid through the leg and lower back and then puncturing his mother. Kid's gonna be fine and so is his Mom.

I am always a little freaky about stuff in the back of the truck. I worry more about things flying out and causing someone else to have an accident.

Couple years ago i had an empty 5 gal. bucket get sucked out of the back of the truck. Yep, it got the windshield of the car tailgating me. :nod:

Steve is bad about leaving feed sacks and hay netting in there. I could see that causing a wreck quickly. Not to mention trash and sticks/limbs.

Ever take a truck through an automatic car wash when there are limbs and sticks in the bed? You get dirtier than when you started. :mad:

I can understand that a truck bed is a handy place to put things, hence, the reason we have them. But really, it isn't a dumpster.

The things you have in the cab of the vehicle can be dangerous also. They become flying projectile's if an accident occurs, especially in a roll over.
The heavy purses that you lady's carry can be deadly.

Lammie":1an5acrn said:
Kid in Ennis got impailed by a crowbar that was in the bed of the truck after he and his mom were rear ended in a storm yesterday. Kid, who was ten, I think, was in the back seat of a Ford Ranger, the crowbar went through the bed, into the back seat, impailing the kid through the leg and lower back and then puncturing his mother. Kid's gonna be fine and so is his Mom.

I am always a little freaky about stuff in the back of the truck. I worry more about things flying out and causing someone else to have an accident.

Several years ago a friend hit a big pine tree head on.....the chain saw in the back of his truck stuck about 4 inches into the back of the cab...good think it was vertical...had it been horizontal it would have probably cut his head off.

curtis":1spdf3ny said:
The things you have in the cab of the vehicle can be dangerous also. They become flying projectile's if an accident occurs, especially in a roll over.
The heavy purses that you lady's carry can be deadly.

You would be amazed at what happens to a laptop computer in a rollover. Ask my son.

I have seen some awful accidents with things impaling people through windscreens and through seats. In first aid classes in the A&E (ER). and Also while travelling with my Dad in the Lorry when he used to be a haulage driver.

Lammie":2u6iuky5 said:

Had to be some serious velocity to propel a crowbar through two layers of sheet metal, through a kid and then into his mom.

years ago there was a couple coming home from a trip... and somekind of wrench came off of a flatbed semi.. it went through the husbands head and into his wifes shoulder who was sitting in the back seat..

Could be I'm looking at this all wrong but wouldn't an object propelled from the back of a truck through the cab have to be going no faster than the truck?
Could be if you were meeting someone and the object flew off the speed you were driving and the truck combined.
It would take at least 800fps or more to penetrate two thickness of sheet metal,I would think.
I don't think the object could build up any more speed than it was already traveling would it?
I'm not saying these statements or wrong I'm just trying to figure out how it could happen.
Somebody help me here.

Cal

Calman":2t6nvtsb said:
Could be I'm looking at this all wrong but wouldn't an object propelled from the back of a truck through the cab have to be going no faster than the truck?
Could be if you were meeting someone and the object flew off the speed you were driving and the truck combined.
It would take at least 800fps or more to penetrate two thickness of sheet metal,I would think.
I don't think the object could build up any more speed than it was already traveling would it?
I'm not saying these statements or wrong I'm just trying to figure out how it could happen.
Somebody help me here.

Cal
It can happen, I'm just smart enough to explain it.

I'm trying to figure out how it went through the cab if they were rear ended, seems like it should have went out the tailgate if anything? Now, if they were rear ended and then slammed into something at speed, I could see it coming through the cab. Lots of people have been hurt by objects in the bed when they slammed into something.

On the other hand I can see something heavy,say 50 pounds or better tearing through the cab,but just can't picture a crowbar penetrating the pickup bed the cab upholstery and tha back of the seat combined.

Cal

I am thinking this is a spud par one of those about 6 or 7 feet long when rear ended it was pushed through the cab. Not the short crow bar. A short object would have come back to the rear if rear ended.

Calman":3gmi7adz said:
Somebody help me here.

Cal

Isn't that one of those "a body in motion stays in motion" things?

Vette that clears it up a lot. If they were setting and was hit in the rear and the bar was laying against the tailgate,I can see where it would launch it like a rocket.
Thanks, even makes sense to an old dummy like me.

Cal

I'm in the VFD here and you'd be amazed of what happens in wrecks.We had a jeep cherokee until I saw a soup can that came across the rear seat in a jeep wreck about kill a kid.Something on the ? about speed I forget the amount but a car going 65mph can be pushed over with very little force.I hit a bird one time on a motorcycle at 70mph and it about knocked me off the bike .

rusty":3e7wf27i said:
I'm in the VFD here and you'd be amazed of what happens in wrecks.We had a jeep cherokee until I saw a soup can that came across the rear seat in a jeep wreck about kill a kid.Something on the ? about speed I forget the amount but a car going 65mph can be pushed over with very little force.I hit a bird one time on a motorcycle at 70mph and it about knocked me off the bike .

isn't it something to do with the G-force building momentum. distance over time = velocity.. and change in velocity over change in time = acceleration.. to which the build up of G-force = momentum. Hyperphysics was never my strong point.

Chrissy,now you went and complicated it all using them million dollar words and me with a two bit mind.

Cal

Latest posts