BCS

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all....

I posted over in the beginners board asking for tips & tricks which lead to a discussion on BCS. Instead of asking there... I wanted to chance getting more resonses on the Health & Nutrition board... so here goes...

How do you tell a cows BCS? Some like to see 4.5 - 5, some like a BCS of 6, etc. If I were to go out and look at one of my cows, how do I know what her BCS is? Obviously there are signs if she's not being sustained on free choice hay (or on the flip-side, if she's too fat) but how do I arrive at a FIGURE for her BCS? Please don't tell me this is purely matter-of-opinion... I'd hate to think that one person's idea of a 4.5 might be someone elses 6... can anyone clarify? Thanks!!

OP
Wisteria Farms

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Caustic Burno":28xhqy92 said:
I knew I had a better link in my reference material I have saved through time couldn't find it. Four year old grandson had played with Paw's bifocals found them this morning in my boot.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/400-795.html
Hope that was BEFORE you stuck your foot in!!!! haha. Thanks again.. its printing now.

Hippie Rancher

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
When you lose your .45 in your boot, that will tell you something. :roll:

Grampa was an old cowman. Son of pioneers, Grandson of a famous "Indian fighter" - He died with that damn thing under his pillow at 88.

Latest posts