BCS and AI

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
Simple question with complicated, differing opinions. Ideally, your cows are in peak shape physically and nutritionally for your AI session. Let's start that as a given. However, many of our cattle will be healing still from their recent birth and new calf sucking them down. Hopefully we all have cattle that never lose weight and retain their flesh and provide plenty of very nutritious milk but for those of us that have a herd with some cows that DON'T do that, how do you view BCS at your AI session.

If they are drawn down some would you delay the session to get them to a 4 or 5 or 6? Is it more important that they are on the upswing/mend going from a 3 to a 4 or 4 to a 5 or will you hard stop, not AI if they are not a solid 5 or 6 at the AI session?

They do get drawn down but this isn't a "problem" for us. Yes, we have a few but we continue to breed them anyway because nutritionally...they're getting what they need and breedback hasn't been a problem.

We do breed a few for others that are in pretty bad shape. Ones I wouldn't have honestly bred. Your 2nd calf heifers shouldn't look like a 16 year old cow. But to each their own I guess.

This is something I'm dealing with right now, but it's recips for Embryos. Most are in a 4 bcs, but there are a few that are in a 3 bcs. I went ahead and put CIDRs in today with a dose of multimin and am feeding a 50/50 mix of cottonseed and cracked corn. They aren't going to be in much better shape in two weeks, but I hope they are on an increasing plane of nutrition and cycling.

I'd rather have them on an upward plane of nutrition than over conditioned. It doesn't take a whole lot to do that, either.

Condition is not a problem here unless it is over-condition. My cows go into September calving season, slick and fat. I have good pasture. By the time I start breeding at Thanksgiving, they are still in good condition as my pasture stays good until at least the second week of November. I start feeding hay about Thanksgiving which is the same time I start breeding.

Ebenezer said:
Look into bypass fat if you want a quick turnaround prior to breeding. Not just plain energy.

Never heard the term. What is bypass fat?

It passes thru the rumen and is absorbed in the latter parts of the digestive system. It goes more directly to the use by the individual for self than for milk production and such. Widely used in dairy rations and the easiest source here is Mix 30 with 4% bypass fat. Some feed guru can explain better than me.

Ebenezer said:
It passes thru the rumen and is absorbed in the latter parts of the digestive system. It goes more directly to the use by the individual for self than for milk production and such. Widely used in dairy rations and the easiest source here is Mix 30 with 4% bypass fat. Some feed guru can explain better than me.

It is like a bypass protein. You don't want the microbes in the rumen to use it before the animal gets it. So it passes thru the rumen and gets absorbed in the small intestine. Giving the animal more energy.

An increase in protein will promote muscle production whereas an increase in energy can promote fat production. They can recycle protein for energy uses but if you increase bypass energy, then they have more energy to meet maintenance... with the rest going to gain.

We plan on doing something similar to our Okies once they've weaned their calves. They'll be going to slaughter in a very short time. They're old. Thin. We will not feed them the same way we feed our fats.

cow pollinater said:
I'd rather have them on an upward plane of nutrition than over conditioned. It doesn't take a whole lot to do that, either.

This.

An article hit today that uses more words to say the same thing.

https://www.drovers.com/article/body-condition-score-and-getting-thin-cows-rebreed

Latest posts