BCC BUSHWACKER 41-93?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was talking with the local AI tech and she said the semen from Bushwacker is getting scarce. I was woundering if anyone else has heard this?

pat

> I was talking with the local AI
> tech and she said the semen from
> Bushwacker is getting scarce. I
> was woundering if anyone else has
> heard this?

> pat I haven't heard this but you may want to call Genetic Horizons (800-443-6389) and ask them. If he is and you really like the bull I'd encourage you to go ahead and buy some now.

A couple years ago I had my eyes on a bull and decided to wait another year to buy some of his semen. A year later it went from $25 to $75 a straw.

That's happened to us a few times, too. But there have been many more young bulls that we were interested in whose EPDs took a nosedive as he got older and we were grateful that we didn't stock up on him, even at $25.

> A couple years ago I had my eyes
> on a bull and decided to wait
> another year to buy some of his
> semen. A year later it went from
> $25 to $75 a straw.

> That's happened to us a few times,
> too. But there have been many more
> young bulls that we were
> interested in whose EPDs took a
> nosedive as he got older and we
> were grateful that we didn't stock
> up on him, even at $25.

...we have a some semen in the tank from young bulls that didn't pan out like we expected. I think I've learned my lesson and so we now typically only use bulls that have proven themselves. It is too expensive to feed a cow for a year to have her give us an average (or below average) calf.

Lots of times it's not the young bulls problem. Breeders today are using the hot new curve bender bulls on cows with Epd's that say they should be in the freezer. The bulls get docked for poor genetics on the dam's part showing through in the calf. If you breed those bulls to the same caliber of cattle you get outstanding cattle we have experimented with that with AI in our herd usually turns out the bull is still close to his original numbers and the cows are that horrid. Jake

[email protected]

> Lots of times it's not the young
> bulls problem. Breeders today are
> using the hot new curve bender
> bulls on cows with Epd's that say
> they should be in the freezer. The
> bulls get docked for poor genetics
> on the dam's part showing through
> in the calf. If you breed those
> bulls to the same caliber of
> cattle you get outstanding cattle
> we have experimented with that
> with AI in our herd usually turns
> out the bull is still close to his
> original numbers and the cows are
> that horrid. Jake

I agree that it takes two good parents to get a good calf. We use mostly "curve bender" bulls. However, I estimate that 50%+ of the time either the young bull's BW EPD goes up or the YW EPD goes down once he has higher accuracies.

For whatever reason not all bulls breed true to their pedigree, initial EPDs, phenotype, etc. I guess that is what makes the seedstock business so challenging.

I was just suprise to learn that his semen was in short supply. We generally do not stock up on any one bull. We might just use more sitz alliance and neutron next year.

pat

> A couple years ago I had my eyes
> on a bull and decided to wait
> another year to buy some of his
> semen. A year later it went from
> $25 to $75 a straw.

> I was just suprise to learn that
> his semen was in short supply. We
> generally do not stock up on any
> one bull. We might just use more
> sitz alliance and neutron next
> year.

> pat

What do you like and dislike about Alliance's calves? I've heard a lot of good about him but never used him.

Have you had any of his daughters calve yet? If so, how is their milk factory? Are they good mama cows?

This is the first year that I have used him. I will know better next spring on how his calves perform. He was reccomended by several fo the angus breeders on this site.

pat

> What do you like and dislike about
> Alliance's calves? I've heard a
> lot of good about him but never
> used him.

> Have you had any of his daughters
> calve yet? If so, how is their
> milk factory? Are they good mama
> cows?