BBQ weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
With a nice cool 95 degrees the urdge to BBQ has set upon me. If you remember a while back I posted a picture of some meat from the gator that jumped out of the tree and attacked us so we had no other choice but to wring its neck - or maybe it was different than that I tend to forget. :oops: Well, he's gone on to serve a higher purpose and turned out to be some fabulous boudin.

IMG_4431_1.jpg

While I was on the cajun kick I made some andouille sausage and some loin bacon.

IMG_4428_1.jpg

Both turned out good. Loin bacon was excellent and I put up a good bit in the freezer for later.

IMG_4430.jpg

Just finished curing some molasses hams and got them in the smoking in pecan. I'm afraid I'll be up for some time nursing cold ones and babysitting the fire cause I feel a nip in the air.

Oh, here is a pic of a feast worth eating. Tomatoes, gator boudin, shrimp boudin, jambalaya and green beans.

IMG_4434_1.jpg

Thanks, I was pleased at how they turned out. I just finished slicing the hams and finished taking tomorrow's chicken out of the smoke house. My dog loves the slicing part cause he gets all the loose end cuts. He's stuffed and sleeping at my feet at the moment. I think he loves my inefficiency with a blade. ;-)

IMG_4441.jpg

:shock: .....That's a span of meat Jo, it looks great!! I don't have a smoker (apart from a tiny trout one) perhaps I should invest in a decent one........ :D .

Looks like some good eating.

I have to ask...Did you actually build a fire in ole Wilbur or just set him out in the sun? :lol: :lol: :lol:

1982vett":343xfjox said:
Looks like some good eating.

I have to ask...Did you actually build a fire in ole Wilbur or just set him out in the sun? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol2: :lol2: Funny you say this cause I had thought about cold smoking some salmon in the smokehouse but the temprerature reading on the gauge was 95. :shock: Oh well, winter will be here in about six months. :lol2:

alisonb":343xfjox said:
I don't have a smoker (apart from a tiny trout one) perhaps I should invest in a decent one........ :D .

Well worth the meager investment.

I'll take your word for it that the gator sausage is good. I just don't think I could eat anything that ugly unless it was a dire situation.

But those hams!! :clap: :clap: They looked beautiful. The photo of the sliced ham made my mouth water and stomach growl!!!! Tell us about the molasses cure if you have the time.

MO_cows":zogcqqih said:
Tell us about the molasses cure if you have the time.

I just use a simple sweet brine cure then add about 2 cups of cane syrup my neighbor makes to the brine. The hams come out tasting like the ones you buy from Honey Baked Hams. This time I add a touch of garlic to it and reduced the syrup some. If you are interested in making some let me know and I'll be glad to give you the specific measures and times.

Nice spread. I'm sure interested in knowing the honey baked brine composition and how long you soak the meat in it. Have you tried a butt that way?

Gaprime, great minds think alike. We use a processor for hogs so I don't get any raw hams but I was thinking of trying it on a butt, too.

Jo, if we are on the same page, a simple sweet brine is 1 cup salt to one gallon water with 1/2 to 1 cup sugar? I'm thinking some whole cloves and the molasses in the brine would make a pretty tasty piece of pork. How long do you have to brine a big piece of meat like that?

ga.prime":38tcd8n7 said:
Nice spread. I'm sure interested in knowing the honey baked brine composition and how long you soak the meat in it. Have you tried a butt that way?

There are several ways of doing it depending on your taste so I'm a little torn on what to give you so I'll give you two that are really good.

The first one is really sweet and will taste as good if not better than the honey baked hams you buy at the store.

Sweet Molasses Ham

Bone out an 8 lb boston butt and you should have about 6 lbs of meat.

In a bowl add
1 cup of molasses
3/4 cup kosher salt
2 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
3 Tbs of garlic powder
3 Tbs of onion powder
3 tsp of Instacure or Cure #2

Mix all this together good and stick the meat in a plastic bag and pour this all over it and work it over the meat good. I double seal the bag. Stick this in the refrigerator for 2 weeks being sure to rotate and work it every day or so to be sure everything is covered well. Take it out of the refrigerator and rinse the meat off good and let it soak in clean water for 2 hours. Take it out and tie it into a tight ham roll then hang it till its dry. (you can pat it with towels to speed this up) Once dry put this in a smoker at 200 degrees and apply a heavy smoke to it and pull the meat when the internal temp reaches 140. Let it rest good before slicing.

GP, if you like honey baked hams this is the one.

The other one is a little milder and less sweet with a mild hint of garlic in it. Here is the recipe for 2.5 gallons of brine which is enough to do three 8 lb butts.

Bone out 2 - 3 butts.
Add boil 2.5 gallons of water and let cool. (this is for safety sake and if you trust your water don't worry about it)

In a clean 5 gallon food grade bucket pour the water then mix 4.6 lbs of salt to the water.
In a sauce pan add 2 cups of water and add 1.3 ounces of salt peter you could adjust and use cure #1 if you wish. When cool add this to the bucket.
Add 2 lbs of sugar of your choice. (molasses, brown sugar or whatever your taste)
Add 8 cloves of minced garlic.
Mix well. This should yield a 70 degree brine if tested with a salinometer.
Once mixed add the butts to the bucket and put a plate on top of them along with a weight to be sure they are submerged. Put in fridge for a day per pound. Ie, if you put in 3 8 lb butts just submerge them for 8 days. (10 won't hurt)
Take them out and rinse them and soak them for 30 minutes. Tie them in a roll doing a better job than I did in the photo and smoke them like the other cool and rest.

This one is mildly sweet with a hint of garlic it tastes a bit more like a sugar cured bacon rather than a ham. Sliced and cooked like country ham or bacon its pretty good.

Both are good eating just depends on what you're craving.

AC, you have a standing invitation for anytime. :tiphat:

Jo, thanks for the in depth recipe. Sounds great. I'll sure give the first one a try- sounds just like something my family would love.

Let me know what you think GP. The good thing about it is one butt will make a lot and you can freeze the extra to have on hand when the craving hits.

Latest posts