BBQ beef brisket

Help Support CattleToday:

Copenhagen & Shiner B":3c889ro6 said:
Does anybody have any good recipes and instructions for cooking a BBQ beef brisket?
PM me your email address nd I will send you a couple of good recipes. Also let me know what type of pit you are cooking on.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":19o5lwdf said:
Does anybody have any good recipes and instructions for cooking a BBQ beef brisket?

Cook it slow, wrapped in a special cooking bag at about 250 deg. F., for several hours, if doing it in an oven. Otherwise SLOW cook, marinate it as desired.

Personally, I like Teriyaki marinate on my beef with some garlic.

we actually found some brisket rub that is awesome. also you dont need the bags, wrapping in foil works good too. my dad takes his BBQ seriously. wrap it up about half way and put about a cup of water in it to keep it moist. we also tried some salad dressing that had all those oils and seasonings in it. worked great. put some onions in, cut a small sliver in the brisket in a few spots and put a little piece of garlic in. i think we cook it about 10 hours. dont even need a knife.

Use 1 center cut brisket around 4 lbs.

On the day prior to serving, coat both sides with "Liquid Smoke." Cover both sides with onion slices and wrap with heavy duty foil, sealing well. Cook 4 1/2 to 5 hours ( for smaller briskets 3 1/2 to 4 hours) @ 250 degrees. Cool, skim off fat and refrigerate overnight.

Next day, slice meat thinly on the diagonal. Place slices in overlapping rows in glass casserole. Cover generously with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cover casserole with heavy foil and heat in 350 degree oven for 20 to 40 minutes depending on the amount of meat.

This is a great recipe for large groups of people - just use several briskets.

BBQ sauce is another important thing. unfortunately my dad wont tell anyone how he makes it, he wants to try and sell it someday. not that i dont think it would sell, it is the best BBQ sauce ive ever had, but he knows nothing about that type of stuff.

"]
TxCoUnTrYbOy":1fkql8oe said:
we actually found some brisket rub that is awesome. also you dont need the bags, wrapping in foil works good too. my dad takes his BBQ seriously..

Now why would a person wrap meat that is supposed to be Bar B Que'd in a plastic bag or foil. If you are going to wrap it you may as well cook it in the oven in the house.
The Idea of Bar B Que'ing is to get the flavor from the wood smoke into the meat. If you wrap it in a plastic cooking bag or foil the flavor isn't going to get into the meat. Save your charcoal and hardwood for when you want real Bar B Que flavor, and cook it in the oven overnite at a low setting.
Sauce doesn't make Bar B Que. Wood smoke makes Bar B Que. Sauce complements Bar B Que.[/quote]

we cook it without foil for about 5 hours before wrapping it. there is a good smoke ring when its done. the reason for wrapping it and putting water in it is so the meat doesnt dry out. if you dont keep it moist, your brisket will be dry.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":3t79gyjf said:
we cook it without foil for about 5 hours before wrapping it. there is a good smoke ring when its done. the reason for wrapping it and putting water in it is so the meat doesnt dry out. if you dont keep it moist, your brisket will be dry.
lLeave the fat on and skin it off after done cooking. Much more flavor that way.

LA is all over it. Low and slow is the key. For brisket I use oak, might finish with a stick or to of mesquite for the last hour. I keep it around 215-220 and figure on 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours per pound. The rub is much more important than the mop. I usually mop but I think it has more to do with the sacred ritual than it does actual results. LA is also right that it won't be dry if you smoke it fat side up and don't get it too hot. It's time consuming work so if your pit can handle it you might as well smoke several at a time.

Craig-TX

We use a 8X11 cake pan and keep it filled with water(and occasionally other things). Just set over the coals so that the drippings will go into the water. It keeps everything moist and the drippings return their flavor to the meat.

dun

Good point, keeping water under the meat is helpful. Also, when your through and the meat has cooled a little make sure to slice across the grain. You have to pay attention because the grain in a brisket changes direction. Not trying to insult your intelligence, it's just that you're bound to be a heretic if you're smoking brisket in South Carolina. I thought everything had to oink or gobble over there before it would get any smoke.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":br8s032e said:
Good point, keeping water under the meat is helpful. Also, when your through and the meat has cooled a little make sure to slice across the grain. You have to pay attention because the grain in a brisket changes direction. Not trying to insult your intelligence, it's just that you're bound to be a heretic if you're smoking brisket in South Carolina. I thought everything had to oink or gobble over there before it would get any smoke.

Craig-TX
Yes, I might be heretic to some of the pork & chicken BBQ crowd, but they are too busy fightin' between the vinegar based and mustard based factions to worry about burning me at the stake for being a heretic. I am red pepper & vinegar when it comes to pork and chicken.

Latest posts