BBF Simm

Help Support CattleToday:

Bird

Reaction score
What BBF simmental bull out there would you guys use to make females?
Thanks

Bird":3ex1bkti said:
What BBF simmental bull out there would you guys use to make females?
Thanks

Do you mean BWF? Built Right has been known as a great female maker. He will usually put a little white on the forehead. His semen is not readily available.

I have been using HPF Optimizer to produce my replacement females and he definitely throws plenty of white.

PRS Blazin' Hot W192 made some really nice heifers here, with most having white/blaze faces... they're calving out now; had been worried about low milk, but they look like they're gonna have plenty.
ASR Longevity Y184 throwing a lot of chrome in the calves hitting the ground right now...

GLS New Direction - great calves, cheap semen
CSCX Bandwagon - does carry the scur gene
TKCC Classified - great calves
LLSF Uprising - expensive - need stout cow
W/C Loaded Up - don't have any calves yet
W/C Bankroll - don't have any calves yet
I only breed to bulls that I think will give me GREAT females.

Son of Butch":2kvqift0 said:
Franke":2kvqift0 said:
Ironhide or multiple other lock and load sons.
Isn't it odd to refer to Ironhide as simmental when his dna is a minimum of 50% angus or perhaps even +51% angus?
I understand what you are saying. But, he is a registered Simmental (half blood) - not registered Angus, even tho he is 1/2 Angus.
I don't use 1/2 blood bulls. I was not familiar with his pedigree. I knew the name and that was all, so I couldn't comment.

Bandwagon half blood just won MN State 4H show. Lock and load son (Load Limit) sired reserve overall.

Son of Butch":2qp9sgx0 said:
Franke":2qp9sgx0 said:
Isn't it odd to refer to Ironhide as simmental when his dna is a minimum of 50% angus or perhaps even +51% angus?
I never saw where it was said purebred.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":spmwaagw said:
Son of Butch":spmwaagw said:
Franke":spmwaagw said:
I understand what you are saying. But, he is a registered Simmental (half blood) - not registered Angus, even tho he is 1/2 Angus.
I don't use 1/2 blood bulls. I was not familiar with his pedigree. I knew the name and that was all, so I couldn't comment.

I used him last fall. He is a half blood and like you, I much prefer purebred but I sure like all my Ironhide calves.

Lucky_P":2mag9iss said:
PRS Blazin' Hot W192 made some really nice heifers here, with most having white/blaze faces... they're calving out now; had been worried about low milk, but they look like they're gonna have plenty.
ASR Longevity Y184 throwing a lot of chrome in the calves hitting the ground right now...

I really like ASR Longevity Y184 myself until I seen the milk EPD. If you are wanting to make females wouldn't a 12.6 milk EPD worry you?

Franke":31e99pbx said:
Son of Butch":31e99pbx said:
Franke":31e99pbx said:
I never saw where it was said purebred.
I never saw where it said less than 50% Simmental = Simmental.

Then again it's the 21st century and the new norm seems to be to allow any or all to choose their own standards
about everything. Just Saying......

Grit - Let's be realistic here. Angus introduced "other breeds" so that they could compete in size many years ago. Herefords within 2 years got bigger, goggled eyed and white patterns changed. Hmmmm
At least our breed introduces other breeds into the mix officially. We have open books. We "know" what mixture is in our cattle - do you?

Thank you Jeanne. But back to the topic Loaded up seems to make all his calves pretty. Broker heifers have won many shows. I think js sure bet and njc Amazon were under used good maternal bulls.

I have to say Bandwagon works well and won`t break the bank buying semen like Built Right will at around $150 a straw I would use it wisely. The heifer in this picture combines both bulls she is a Bandwagon out of a solid black Built Right cow. She is bred to CCR Boulder and should calve 9-11or so.

Latest posts