Bazadais cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

allynview

Reaction score
Im interested in Bazadais cattle in America does anyone have a few cows and bulls and if so what breed lines are they,

Breed Origins:

A pure French breed, from Bazas and Landes, a region in the south of France, the Bazadais (pronounced BAZ-A-DAY) originates from crossing of local breeds such as the Marini (a small grey cow from Landes) and breeds from Spain. There are suggestions of a possible infusion as far back as the middle ages of Bos Indicus brought in by the invading Moors.

A herd book was established in France in 1895.

Characteristics:
Bazadais range in colour from Charcoal or dark grey to light grey. The calves are born a wheaten colour which gradually gives way to a light or dark charcoal colour just before weaning. The Bazadais has excellent conformation, exceptional length, a fine bone structure, good muscle development, a large back and a round rump. The eye, muzzle and mucous membranes are pigmented terra cotta while the hoof is small with a dark tough horn.

About The Breed:

Bazadais are a very hardy type of animal who fatten easily on grass, have a fine meat with an excellent flavour, a good proportion of marbling with an even fat cover and a high ratio of meat to bone. They have been bred to survive and are to be found grazing high in the alpine meadows in the extreme cold of the Pyrenees Mountains down to the hotter more arid regions of the Spanish border, with an endurance to the cold and the heat the Bazadais is proving to be a very adaptable breed. Bazadais are a breed with many exceptional qualities. They are fast becoming a breed of choice in Australia, with trials being run from the Northern Territory to Tasmania.

The cows and calves on the website look good and the bull is impressive. Did you search to see if there is an American association. They sound like pretty versatile cattle to me..

On their history page,
http://www.bazadaise.org.uk/history.htm
they don't mention any exporatations to the U.S. and Cattletoday lists 61 breeds (presumably all in the U.S. and Canada) and the Bazadais is not on the list. Somebody probably has some somewhere; but they don't seem far enough along yet to have an American association.

2/B or not 2/B":1chttomd said:
Brandonm22":1chttomd said:

Definitely big butted and muscular. Do you think they're slow finishing? I didn't see anything about disposition either. Cool post though. It was fun looking at all those pictures of a breed I've never heard of.

Big butted?! Those things look like pigs on longer legs! (That's good in my mind, more meat to eat!!) They look really nice, even in a crossbreeding situation they could add a lot of length, muscle, and overall hardiness. Good luck finding them in the US, we only have the basic cattle here! :cowboy:

I wonder how they got over looked or passed by during the continental invasion when about all of the contientals that had something to offer were imported

i have recived a couple of photos of cross breeds bazadais cross shorthorn and bazadais cross murray grey
they look all wright.

2/B or not 2/B":37zjiwps said:
Definitely big butted and muscular. Do you think they're slow finishing? I didn't see anything about disposition either. Cool post though. It was fun looking at all those pictures of a breed I've never heard of.

All that I know about them I learned on the internet last night. For me to even give an opinion on their strengths or weaknesses as a breed would be nothing but wild conjecture.

allynview":1yt8pi7z said:
photo of a bazadais cross shorthorn View attachment 1photo of a murray grey cross bazadais .

Could be just the angle of the photo but I'm not crazy about that bull.....is he the sire of one of the calves shown? The calves are very nice. As far as the Bazadais breed, from what I see and read from the internet they look like they would do well in our area. I would give a bull a try as long as I didnt go broke buying one.

the little bull is only 5 months old i know its not a good photo and the calf next to him is out of a bazadais cross shorthorn heifer . The murray grey fellow is 4 1/2 months old.
there is a lady in Victoria Australia that has semen for sale thats cleared to go over seas if antone is interested.

i would like to know if there is anyone raising BAZADAIS cattle in america. i am very interested in the breed.

What about importing embryos? Does the person in Australia that has the semen have embryos also? Good way to get into the breed if you have some commercial cows that you could use as recips.

dun":3hkt08a7 said:
I wonder how they got over looked or passed by during the continental invasion when about all of the contientals that had something to offer were imported

The French produce a lot of good looking cattle with variable dispositions,

but it seems like the US initially focused on importing the larger framed breeds.

Latest posts