Battery question

Help Support CattleToday:

Charge them and test them, or have an auto supply joint test them. If only one shows bad you only need to replace that one.

Seems I always used to be short a battery back when I ran too many tractors and pickups :oops: If you are tired of playing musical batteries and really need another battery anyway, go ahead and put a new pair in the diesel, and use the survivor for something else :idea:

What John said.. Replace both at once every time, use the other for something lighter duty, it's probably on it's way out too, and if it shorts out it could damage the new battery too.. It might start a gas engine for a few years yet though

wbvs58":2jtixau6 said:
Has anyone ever had any success with those battery additives to disulphate the plates?

Ken
I can't say I've ever tried any battery additives. I believe that in most cases, you do get what you pay for when it comes to batteries.

Last summer I needed a battery for my old Ford station wagon because I had taken the battery out of the Ford to use in a tractor I sold. That's how I play musical batteries :p :p :p

So I put the new battery in the Hyundai and the 3 yr old used battery from the Hyundai in the Ford. The new battery I purchased (at Runnings) was an Exide Edge AGM battery. It was a lot heavier, has more CCA, and cost 50% more than a conventional lead/acid battery of similar size. Time will tell if I made a wise decision.

http://www.exide.com/us/en/product-solu ... e-agm.aspx

The guy driving the battery truck (won't say what brand) told me that the lead in batteries has been recycled so many times, that a battery is junk. Driving a truck, doesn't make him the definative expert, but he's handled a lot of batteries.

Bigfoot":38b6jc3b said:
The guy driving the battery truck (won't say what brand) told me that the lead in batteries has been recycled so many times, that a battery is junk. Driving a truck, doesn't make him the definative expert, but he's handled a lot of batteries.

Not sure I agree or disagree with the battery truck guy, but battery technology has certainly come a long way since the days when there were only lead/acid batteries available, and nothing else :2cents:

I recently sold a car that had one of those red top spiral cell batteries in it. The battery had come in a used pickup I bought. Date wasn't punched out, but I had owned that battery 13+ yrs and it still going strong in the car :eek:

This Exide AGM is something different again and my first experience with it. The thing I appreciate most is that the post terminals don't corrode like they do on a conventional lead/acid battery :idea:

I bought one of those gell cell batterys when they first came out. 15 yeras later I left it in the 3rd truck that it had been in when I sold it.

If you have a tester that works by putting a load on the battery you would be surprised at how much money you can save buying batterys

If you have a load tester, test them regularly, and if they fail, bring them back under full warranty, before you get to the pro-rated part of it (often 2-3 years).. Just because it starts your vehicle doesn't mean the battery is performing like it's rated at, and if it's not performing as it says it should, it's a warranty case.

I replace the battery in my truck about every 3 years and use the old one around the farm... Nothing worse than being stuck away from home.. on the farm I can always get a boost

Here's another option for you. Dump the electrolyte out of the battery(ies) and flush the inside of the battery until clear water runs out. Then replace the electrolyte, it's available at most parts stores and its very cheap. A lot of times the stuff that flakes off the battery plates settles in the bottom and eventually shorts out the plates. Just another option to try and recover the battery.

Had the batteries tested. 1 was bad the other was good. Put the good one on the boat. I Broke down and bought 2 interstate batteries. Thanks guys for your input.

Are these good deep cycle batteries? Or AGMs?

What kind of charger do you have?

New chargers with smart tech, may not be able to charge them because they are too far down. Took both out, make sure the good one is charged. Jump them together, let them equalize for 12-24 hours. Now they both will likely charge to full again. Then test them.

Modern batteries and battery tech chargers, are not what we used to have.

I ordered two to replace mine. Then found out about how to try to salvage them. Worked perfectly. Now I have two extra, expensive batteries.

Latest posts