Battery powered fence chargers?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have never used a battery operated charger before and I am going to loose AC power to a barn for a few months while we tear and old house down and build a garage/shop. Probably got 50-60 acres that needs to be kept energized during this project. Wanting to stay reasonably priced as it will be temporary but like a backup charger also. Running a 6 joule Zabera charger now.

Browsed some and found these:

Like the price but less power: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... 5#tab-info

Like the option to use AC or DC power, still less joules though: http://www.patriotchargers.com/NEWP20.htm

More money and less joules, but dual power. Some people tell me the Gallagher is hot though: http://www.gallagherfence.net/collectio ... oducts/b80

Any thoughts on these?
I got 4 deep cycle batteries hooked up to a solar panel so I should be ok on battery power.

Most mains powered chargers these days are actually 12 volt DC chargers that can run off a battery, they just come with a separate plug in power source. The NZ made Speedrite I think is hard to beat and comes in all sizes.

Ken

The Magnum 12 from Parmak is the best value for the money, bar none. But if your needing more power, then you will want to look at the dual power Speedrite or Stafix models. An example is the Speedrite 6000i that comes with a remote. If I had a lot of electric on a remote pasture, that is the unit I would go for. Sometimes find a deal on them on eBay.

Gallagher are overpriced and underpowered. That being said, my main energizer is a Gallagher M1000, but I only bought it because it was a smoking deal at $250.

4 deep cycle batteries with a solar panel is overkill. 1 is plenty. Even with (hypothetically) a 10 watt panel and an entire week of cloud. Energizers us basically zilch for power, either battery or plug-in.

I've tried a number of DC fence chargers. I've replaced all of them with the Parmak Mag 12

jerry27150":36j0oqt5 said:
put a plug in on the pole by your meter, those battery ones will not deter cattle if they want to go somewhere.
Neither will AC if they really want through it.

jerry27150":1uqkejrd said:
put a plug in on the pole by your meter, those battery ones will not deter cattle if they want to go somewhere.
There's no diffrence in the shock from one on 120 volt then changed to a 12 volt battery.
Only downfall is the battery goes dead.
I use the same chargers both ways.

Stocker Steve":2mm554i0 said:
Aaron":2mm554i0 said:
The Magnum 12 from Parmak is the best value for the money, bar none.

What do you think about the solar powered version vs. buying an aftermarket solar panel and a battery?

Obviously the aftermarket panel and battery would be more reliable in terms of backup power. That being said, neighbor used the solar version for several years. Put it outside and other than turning it on and off, left it out in the elements year round. Proved to me that the solar version is the best unit in that market as well.

I have been using a DC fence charger from http://taylorfence.net/index.php continuously for 7 months on a 4 hot wire perimeter fence. No problems.

Edit to add: I use a deep cycle battery and aftermarket solar panel. The battery alone will last 2 weeks. The solar panel works well if kept clean and properly adjusted to the sun.

I was running up to three Mag 12s this summer. Driving around with deep cycle batteries got old, but I was unsure about the solar version reliability. Sounds like it is more reliable than the battery powered... Does the solar panel act shed water like a roof? :idea:

Stocker Steve":1k24udfo said:
I was running up to three Mag 12s this summer. Driving around with deep cycle batteries got old, but I was unsure about the solar version reliability. Sounds like it is more reliable than the battery powered... Does the solar panel act shed water like a roof? :idea:

Solar version is what it is. Neighbor had it on a post, wide out in the open where everything could get at it. Torrential rain, hail, snow, etc. Kept on ticking. I think new owners removed it now, but it sat in the same spot for 10 years.

I have an old 6 volt charger that I have had hooked up to a 12 volt car battery for the past 15 years. I charge the battery about once a month if it needs it or not. I have a Zareba 4 volt solar and a Harbor Freight 6 volt solar that also work equally well.