Battery Powered Chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

While I am a big fan of Sthil, I would go with the Milwaukee just because you have the batteries already.
I was leaning that way myself, but when I was in Home Depot the other day I picked up one of the Milwaukee units and it seemed overly long and heavy for what I'm looking for. I need to run by the local Stihl dealer after work today or tomorrow and am hoping they have some Stihl units there to fondle.

One of the features of a battery powered chain saw is when you let off the trigger the motor stops. Nice feature of youngsters helping and perhaps some women.

I needed a leaf blower to clean out gutters so I bought the most powerful one I could fine, EGO. It has a 56V system. So when I wanted a chainsaw I bought one of theirs with a 14" bar. It's nice getting limbs off of the fence. Stop and set it down, pick it up to cut more, not idling and or pulling a rope.

One of the features of a battery powered chain saw is when you let off the trigger the motor stops. Nice feature of youngsters helping and perhaps some women.
Good point. I've got a scar across my left knee from an old Jonsered saw from when I was 16ish, wasn't my idea of a good time.

We certainly are not lumber jacks but we clear alot of heavy cedar, mesquite and twoended brush. . Between treeshears, shredder/mulcher and hydraulic and electric chainsaw we very rarely mix any gas.
Hydraulic chainsaws are another breed of cat. They used those in the mines around here.

Last edited:
One thing I have found is you need to get used to the electric saw. In my experience because there is not the noise of the motor revving I tend to not respect the chain as much. I have not had any accident but a couple of times I have had to say to myself, whoa boy, that is a chain revolving there.

Ken

One thing I have found is you need to get used to the electric saw. In my experience because there is not the noise of the motor revving I tend to not respect the chain as much. I have not had any accident but a couple of times I have had to say to myself, whoa boy, that is a chain revolving there.

Ken
Less noise is a big plus.

Last edited:
I have a Ryobi 18V on small stuff works good and it would be great for the wife or little jobs.. I can still seem to start a gas model OK and that is what I usually grab. I can put gas in one a little faster than wait for a battery to charge and less expensive in the long run. Also folks that think the current battery powered saws that are out as of now will work on big trees have never had a 90cc saw in their hands with a full chisel skip chain. About like a knife through butter and that power when you lay it across a log is unreal, almost feels like the ground is shaking under you. A 660 power head is just a little over 16 lbs.
I wouldn't mind getting an electric saw, i think they really have their place in intermittent duty stuff... brush clearing, building fence, etc but if you need to power through a lot of wood it will still require a gas saw.
I have an 066 but my go-to big saw is my 294xp or my 372xp for normal stuff.. my fencing saw is an old Husky 44 that's really nice

I wouldn't mind getting an electric saw, i think they really have their place in intermittent duty stuff... brush clearing, building fence, etc but if you need to power through a lot of wood it will still require a gas saw.
I have an 066 but my go-to big saw is my 294xp or my 372xp for normal stuff.. my fencing saw is an old Husky 44 that's really nice
Those 372xp are nice as I had an early pre-Xtorq and it was smooth running. Never heard of a 294xp.

Last edited:

I needed a leaf blower to clean out gutters so I bought the most powerful one I could fine, EGO. It has a 56V system. So when I wanted a chainsaw I bought one of theirs with a 14" bar. It's nice getting limbs off of the fence. Stop and set it down, pick it up to cut more, not idling and or pulling a rope.
I have heard those EGO tools are pretty good.

I have heard those EGO tools are pretty good.
I stopped by the local Ace yesterday after work to look at the Stihl saws, and the guy working in that department suggested I look at the EGO saws while I was there. The chainsaw reminded me of the Milwaukee brand, built a lot heavier than the Stihl saws and pretty long. I would go for one of them (or more likely the Milwaukee brand) if I was buying it for myself, but overall I like the Stihl for my wife as it's smaller and much lighter.

I think I've settled on the Stihl 140, it's the larger of their two homeowner style saws and I believe it would be the best fit for my purpose. Plus I'm pretty sure I can slip it in SmokinM's saddlebags without him noticing.....

Hydraulic chainsaws are another breed of cat. They used those in the mines around here. Nothing compares to those as far as power.

Hydraulic chainsaws are another breed of cat. They used those in the mines around here.
I've got a priefert limbinater . Low speed and high torque no doubt. Considerable learning curve using it. Really easy to bend the bar but once you get the hang of it handy as a pocket on a shirt. Much safer for employees to.

I stopped by the local Ace yesterday after work to look at the Stihl saws, and the guy working in that department suggested I look at the EGO saws while I was there. The chainsaw reminded me of the Milwaukee brand, built a lot heavier than the Stihl saws and pretty long. I would go for one of them (or more likely the Milwaukee brand) if I was buying it for myself, but overall I like the Stihl for my wife as it's smaller and much lighter.

I think I've settled on the Stihl 140, it's the larger of their two homeowner style saws and I believe it would be the best fit for my purpose. Plus I'm pretty sure I can slip it in SmokinM's saddlebags without him noticing.....
A friend has a Stihl pruner saw. It's like 4" bar. He was helping me with a project and he was using that to cut some shrubs in a fence in town. My wife was there and he showed her what he was doing and let her use it for a bit. She said she wanted one, and this was early December so I thought I'd get one for Christmas. I couldn't fine one locally.

I looked online and found a saw with a 6" bar, two chains, brushless motor, two batteries and a case to keep them it. Like $80. I'm sure it's made in the Far East, but my friend said he'd wished he'd bought something like that after he used it. It really is handy for small stuff, and can put the case anywhere and have it all with you.

I have a little 5 pound gas powered Echo that cuts like a big saw as the weigh is about what a battery alone weighs.. It is tiny an about like starting a gas powered weedwacker. Don't be fooled by its size as it will cut.

Here is a pic Echo CS2511 as a couple weeks ago cut a dead 20" ash tree off a fence with it.

2IVRC4q.jpg

Here it is beside an 880 to show just how small it is

Y5h2bl4.jpg

A friend has a Stihl pruner saw. It's like 4" bar. He was helping me with a project and he was using that to cut some shrubs in a fence in town. My wife was there and he showed her what he was doing and let her use it for a bit. She said she wanted one, and this was early December so I thought I'd get one for Christmas. I couldn't fine one locally.
My Mom gave me that Stihl pruner for Christmas with the idea of it fitting in my saddlebags, which it does and is great for that purpose. It has it's limitations, but my wife has used it a bunch cutting cedars off the fencelines and absolutely loves it. I had planned to buy the Milwaukee 12v version (think it's a 6") as it's built a lot heavier and looks more robust, but the little Stihl version works just fine.

We have one of the really small sthil ones, i ridiculed my father for buying it, everytime he sees me get it out to use he has a very satisfied look on his face! Great machine but battery too small. We bought some extra batteries. It's now done a lot of work and worn a few chains out. Really easy to pull apart when jammed, no tools required. I think the genius of them is the chains are so thin so slice through really fast.

We have no an xp395 husqvarna, if you can start the bloody thing it will cut through anything, thats my go to saw when i need power. My go to for general farm work is the stihl mini boss.

I had an EGO blower and it worked good for about a year then started acting up.

Couldn't stand it after reading this thread so I grabbed the dewalt 12" that uses the 20v batteries. I have quite a few other tools on the same system so we will see how it works.

My Mom gave me that Stihl pruner for Christmas with the idea of it fitting in my saddlebags, which it does and is great for that purpose. It has it's limitations, but my wife has used it a bunch cutting cedars off the fencelines and absolutely loves it. I had planned to buy the Milwaukee 12v version (think it's a 6") as it's built a lot heavier and looks more robust, but the little Stihl version works just fine.
That 140 saw should suit your purposes well. I was leaning that way but ultimately went with the Milaukee just for the fact I have so many batteries available for it. Jason has the pruner too and we use it a lot, my Milwaukee does not fit as nice in the saddle bags unless I use the big set. The battery is definitely better on my Milwaukee.

The noise level was being discussed earlier. I love mine during hunting season. Nothing ruins a nice quite morning in the mountains like a chainsaw running.

I have a little 5 pound gas powered Echo that cuts like a big saw as the weigh is about what a battery alone weighs.. It is tiny an about like starting a gas powered weedwacker. Don't be fooled by its size as it will cut.

Here is a pic Echo CS2511 as a couple weeks ago cut a dead 20" ash tree off a fence with it.

2IVRC4q.jpg

Here it is beside an 880 to show just how small it is

Y5h2bl4.jpg
I have a little Stihl 007 that's pretty small and handy as well, and a little pioneer 1073 (gotta fix the recoil on that one)

Back when I was falling timber we use to say it is the pits when a grown man has to pull a rope to start something to make a living. I had a 125 Mac that was like packing a box of rocks. It hated starting on cold mornings. It would jerk the rope out of your hand..... I hated that saw. It was the last Mac I ever used. I did use a Stihl 090 with a 60 inch bar one summer. That will separate the men from the boys.

Latest posts