Battery brands for pickup

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
May be having to replace the two batteries in my '93 7.3 IDI diesel.
I have equal access to Advance Auto, Auto Zone and O'Reilly's. Also WalMart
In looking at prices, all seem to be the same. Expensive. Two of the three auto parts places have Group 65 at 850 CCA and 1000CA.WalMart Group 65N is also rated the same for 90.00 less each.
The ones in the truck were put in 6 plus years ago. I'd ordinarily replace with the same brand but 180.00 saved gets my attention.

Any experiences with Wal Mart's EverStart would be welcome. I know Johnson Controls used to make them and also did for Advance. Not sure who is now

Everstart seems to be a good battery.
I don't know if you get a sales tax exemption for a farm vehicle but we do in Texas and Walmart can't seem to understand what that is. So we usually by batteries from TSC or or local feed store.

I never regret spending money on a good battery, once you wipe the tear from your eyes over spending the money the cost seems to rapidly fade into the distant past. I don't consider 6 years to be a good lifespan on your previous batteries, if that is considered good then I might be up for a heap of expense pretty soon.

Ken

I don't think it matters. They all suck, might as well save what you can when you buy them. I've tried just about every brand there is and they all seem to crap out in 3-5 years.

The more expensive ones might last marginally longer, but it certainly isn't reflected in the price. I definitely don't think the $200 battery is going to last twice as long as the $100 battery.

Last I knew there are only three manufacturers building batteries. A lot of them are the same with different stickers.

Last edited:
I have started using interstate batteries mainly because there is an interstate store close. They check them, swap them, keep records on them, etc. It's about as easy as you can get. This store has some good, knowledgeable guys vs other places like wal-mart.

Not sure if the batteries are better but the service sells it for me.

Their aren't a lot of battery manufacturers left. But all manufacturers make different grades of batteries.
A couple of important things is to use the correct type of battery for how it is being used.
Starting liquid acid batteries are designed for short duration high amp draw. Deep cycle batteries are designed for low amp draw over a long period of time.
Many newer vehicles have lots of computer systems that draw amps all the time . So liquid acid batteries are poor choice for them.
Another thing that dramatically reduces life of batteries is not maintaining a proper charge by allowing batteries to sit for long periods of time between use,this is magnified in cold weather.

Been using whatever brand Sam's club has for years and I replace them right before they are 5 years old. I don't want to be stranded with dead batteries. I have never seen a battery last much past 5 years, so why chance it.

CAT batteries are the best by far in my experience but sizes can be hard to find. They really only make what they use in their equipment. Have had good luck with Interstate, Duralast and Motorcraft. Everstart and NAPA not so much.

May be having to replace the two batteries in my '93 7.3 IDI diesel.
I have equal access to Advance Auto, Auto Zone and O'Reilly's. Also WalMart
In looking at prices, all seem to be the same. Expensive. Two of the three auto parts places have Group 65 at 850 CCA and 1000CA.WalMart Group 65N is also rated the same for 90.00 less each.
The ones in the truck were put in 6 plus years ago. I'd ordinarily replace with the same brand but 180.00 saved gets my attention.

Any experiences with Wal Mart's EverStart would be welcome. I know Johnson Controls used to make them and also did for Advance. Not sure who is now
As said, there aren't a lot of manufacturers. I think Advance, Autozone, and Wally World have Exide batteries. Napa also carries Exide. They may have different labels but they are all made by the same outfit. Exide has been around forever and from experience and the grapevine I don't think much of them. They are either okay or crap and usually the crap ones will fail within a year. Be sure to save your receipt.
I'm pretty sure O'Reilly's carries a different manufacturer. They seem a little better. Less failures overall.
Interstate makes their own batteries, or used to. They were better than Exide ten years ago and I don't know why they'd be worse unless they changed something. They have a strange marketing strategy. They sell through a lot of independent outlets. Usually they are a little more expensive.
I have no experience with gel batteries but I know a lot of people that like spending money like to buy them. I doubt they are worth what they sell for.
Your mileage may vary...

We like Interstate batteries. Like Brute said, there is some amount of service with them and where you buy them keeps a record of your purchase.
Good luck!

There have only been three battery manufacturers for at least 20 years, but that doesnmt mean the batteries are the same. Battery makers build batteries to the specs they are paid to make them, so they all make very cheap batteries and top quality batteries. I've had good luck with Walmart batteries, but the last several years I've been buying Rural King batteries. They have a better selection.

As said, there aren't a lot of manufacturers. I think Advance, Autozone, and Wally World have Exide batteries. Napa also carries Exide. They may have different labels but they are all made by the same outfit. Exide has been around forever and from experience and the grapevine I don't think much of them. They are either okay or crap and usually the crap ones will fail within a year. Be sure to save your receipt.
I'm pretty sure O'Reilly's carries a different manufacturer. They seem a little better. Less failures overall.
Interstate makes their own batteries, or used to. They were better than Exide ten years ago and I don't know why they'd be worse unless they changed something. They have a strange marketing strategy. They sell through a lot of independent outlets. Usually they are a little more expensive.
I have no experience with gel batteries but I know a lot of people that like spending money like to buy them. I doubt they are worth what they sell for.
Your mileage may vary...
Not quite
Napa batteries are produced by East Penn known by most as Dekka.
Interstate uses multiple manufacturers to produce their batteries Johnson Controls used to make the majority of them but exide is making a increasing larger percentage all the time.
O Reilly battery are mostly made by Johnson Controls

Been using whatever brand Sam's club has for years and I replace them right before they are 5 years old. I don't want to be stranded with dead batteries. I have never seen a battery last much past 5 years, so why chance it.
Replaced the original Mopar battery in my 2004 Dodge 3/9/2021 = 16-17 yrs old.
Guess it lasted 3 battery lifetimes. It was weak, but not dead.
Replaced with NAPA even though I've had good luck with Interstate.

Last edited:
I
Replaced the original Mopar battery in my 2004 Dodge 3/9/2021 = 16-17 yrs old.
Guess it lasted 3 battery lifetimes. It was weak, but not dead.
Replaced with NAPA even though I've had good luck with Interstate.
I'm glad that someone else gets more than 5 years out of their batteries. Probably not getting the extreme cold weather that you get there helps with the life of my batteries.

Ken

I can kill a battery in 2 years or less. I've been told the heat plus the amount of time I use my truck gets them. I also have inverters and all kinds of stuff usually running also.

With the newer trucks, like my 2017, if the battery get a little week it messes with the electronics. It can still crank fine but the batteries will have to be replaced.

Not quite
Napa batteries are produced by East Penn known by most as Dekka.
Interstate uses multiple manufacturers to produce their batteries Johnson Controls used to make the majority of them but exide is making a increasing larger percentage all the time.
O Reilly battery are mostly made by Johnson Controls
Just bought a fresh pair of Napa batteries made by Exide a year ago. So if they've changed it's recent, incomplete, or ongoing. I also bought one two years ago that went bad in about six months and was replaced with another Exide.

Yes, things change. It's getting to be part of the conversation whenever advice is solicited. Next week it could all be different.

Latest posts