Bat[s] in the House

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Story from this morning:

Guess what I had waking me up this morning?

A bat!!

Yeah you heard right, a Little Brown Bat somehow found its way into the house and the cats were chasing it; what woke me up was the sudden site of it flapping over my head. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :shock: :shock:

I was almost going to hide under the covers until Mom came up to say goodbye as she was going off to work, but since it was quarter to six in the morning, I decided to cautiously get out of bed to not disturb the little bat that was now resting on the ceiling near my bedroom, and get Mom to help me get the little bugger out.

Mom was surprised, to say the least. So the both of us, still donned in our nighties, locked the cats in the basement, crept upstairs, mom with a pair of work gloves on and a pail to try to catch it in, and opened up all the windows WIDE open and took off the screens.

By then it suddenly occured to me that that little bat actually looked kinda cute. :D ;-)

Anyway, as mom was slowly putting the pail up to the ceiling to catch the bat, it saw us and flew out of "harm's" way, heading for the other bedroom opposite mine. "Oh crap," I thought. I started to shut the door to let the bat find it's way out of the open window, but mom suggested we both go in and shoo the bat out of the window...."helping" it as she called it.

You gotta have nerves of steel if you have a bat flying and zooming around a little room right over your head, to be honest. A person who hates birds would be freaking out right about now. Seriously, we could feel air from the bat's wings as it zoomed and darted and flapped around the little bedroom. I grabbed a towl to sort of "herd" it towards the window, and moreso to keep it from coming over my head so much. Finally, after a dozen circuits around the room, the bat found the open window and flew out into the dawn.

I don't think we'll ever know how that little thing got in.

Anybody else have ever had bats or a bat in the house before?

Oh yeah. Think it was in a live Christmas tree one year.
We were watching a movie and kept hearing something. Everytime we got up and turned on the lights, couldn't see a thing. Thought it was a bird...considerable screaming about being wrong!
Tried shooing it out the door to no avail. Beat a ficus half to death with a broom trying to run it out of the tree or kill it - again to no avail. When the thing finally lit on the ceiling while the lights were on, we sprayed it with Raid. Still not sure why. The Raid stunned it enough it fell to the floor, at which point my husband (then my boyfriend) turned a small garbage can upside down to trap it on the floor. The thing went nuts inside the can, flying and shrieking like a banshee. He scooted the trash can to the back door, then slung the thing outside.
Insane experience!!!

IluvABbeef":3k00q6ts said:
By then it suddenly occured to me that that little bat actually looked kinda cute. :D ;-)

No one will ever convince me that this statement is true, sorry ILB, they are gross. I know tons of folks who build houses for them as they eat the insects like crazy, but having them in your house or cabin, just plain gross. Get yourself a tennis racket! :nod:

This thread kinda makes me wonder how Lammie and that flying rat of hers is doing these days......

MistyMorning":sb82ksxi said:
IluvABbeef":sb82ksxi said:

No one will ever convince me that this statement is true, sorry ILB, they are gross. I know tons of folks who build houses for them as they eat the insects like crazy, but having them in your house or cabin, just plain gross. Get yourself a tennis racket! :nod:

This thread kinda makes me wonder how Lammie and that flying rat of hers is doing these days......

:wave: Misty Moonlite i agree, i never did like bats. BTW i had a bat here for a while and finally got rid of her, i divorced her. :banana: :banana:
Yep its about time for Lammie to give us a report on Pip, the little flying possum.

Pip is rattling around in his cage as of this moment. He did get out the other night and flew back into his cage when he realized where the food was. Other than that, he's been pretty non eventful. Still halfway trying to find him another home.

As for bats, we have then around here. They used to get in the gym all the time. I've never had one in the house, but live and let live. Bats are neat.

Had bats in HEB years ago-before I went to work there-Don't know how they got them out :help:

First apartment I had with the first job I had, I had some people come over once, total strangers to say that I should think about moving because this apartment had bats, I thought they were just trying to get me to move because they wanted the apartment-WRONG!!!!

A few nights later I'm sleeping when all the sudden i feel something touch my hair, woke me up, and then I sensed something wasn't right, went to turn the lights on, and lets see, about 3 Bats swooped in on me, I grabbed the nearest thing which was a frying pan, and started swinging, as I ran out of the apartment in the middle of the night-oh yah I was screaming too! That job didn't last but a few months, and for the rest of the time I slept in my car, never did sleep in that apartment again. I think the false ceilings in that place may have had something to do with them easily getting in, I don't know, just glad I did not get bit.
Looking back I think that whole experience was what we call a bad one, sucko job, sucko town, and wanna be sucko bats!

GMN

Latest posts