Basic annual vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

TwinCedarFarms

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just finished my first calving season with my registered Herefords. All calves and mommas are healthy and doing well. Now that they are about a month old and it's about 3-4 weeks pre-breeding for the cows and heifers, I'd like to run them all through the chute to do vaccinations and tagging that needs to be done. I want to purchase and administer the vaccinations myself but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I need exactly there are so many confusing articles and different options when looking for vaccines online. So I'm looking for a simple layout of what I need for the calves now at 4 weeks with no vaccinations yet, and the cows for their annual or semi-annual? shots. Thank you

Preface: This is what I do. Keep in mind, I only have fall calvers. Provided in outline for simplicity.

CALF:

At Birth. Inforce 3 and First Defense.
At about 2 to 3 months. Covexin 8. Followed by second round in 4 to 6 weeks. Covexin 8.

At weaning, Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 HB. Followed by Spirovac VL5 in 5 weeks.

COWS:

SPRING: Covexin 8 and Spirovac L5.
FALL: Covexin 8 and Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 L5 HB. NOTE: The BSG FP 5 L5 HB is given 60 to 70 days prior to breeding to avoid the influence of the IBR component on the ovary.

Cows get multi-min90, wormer, and a lepto shot. Calfs get 7 way blackleg and wormer. Wormer may not be needed on calves but it's cheap and I think it helps. Try going to Valley Vets website and using thier search engine to read up on meds or visit the local vet or a good feed store.

Latest posts