BASE FOR A CORRAL

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63

Reaction score
HELLO FELLOW CATTLE BOARD MEMBERS. I am in the process of expanding my corral for the cattle to use during winter primarily. Part of the corral is cement. The other part drops away, elevation wise, a foot or two and I need to build it up to be held in place by a berm. Question is, what would be a good type of fill to build it up with and what would y'all top it with? I was thinking the cheapest stuff I could find below and then top it with stone dust for 6 inches or so.

Any ideas / experiences?

Thanks,

Mike

No clue on what material to use but I would not go cheap on the base. No matter what you put on top... if the base gives it will all be junk. Look in to getting a roller also to pack it every so often after as you build it up. It will make all the difference in how firm it is and it will push any big material down.

Here we have limestone, red pit gravel and some other stuff I don't put much count in.

fall into winter is not the best time for stone should have a good base down summer an pack it, as with wet freez an thaw you could be back to zero. there is a matt that will help stabelize farm tec sells it works good contractor use it. going to try put some under my new pens as well im useing 2 inch up base apox 4 inch ,the matt , then dirt back on top if my small pocket book holds up that is materials for pens about got me brook now plus im putting in new water lines first

I'm thinking maybe a geo textile base. Loggers around here use them when they have to temporarily cross a wet area with skidders and feller bunchers and such. Thought I remember seeing a few in craigslist. Then cover it up with something. Maybe stonedust. My pocket book is pretty limited too. Just hate seeing them knee deep in April, then you put them out to give some fresh ground and they destroy that in no time = less grass.

Ridgefarmer63":3lmjj94o said:
HELLO FELLOW CATTLE BOARD MEMBERS. I am in the process of expanding my corral for the cattle to use during winter primarily. Part of the corral is cement. The other part drops away, elevation wise, a foot or two and I need to build it up to be held in place by a berm. Question is, what would be a good type of fill to build it up with and what would y'all top it with? I was thinking the cheapest stuff I could find below and then top it with stone dust for 6 inches or so.

Any ideas / experiences?

Thanks,

Mike

Build a second and interconnect them with gates. Be done with it. The new pen is built at its own level and could use the higher fence as a backdrop. I'd prefer 4 small pens to one large pen any day. You'll have two. Better for sorting.

backhoeboogie":3fn79ued said:
Ridgefarmer63":3fn79ued said:

Any ideas / experiences?

Thanks,

Mike

Build a second and interconnect them with gates. Be done with it. The new pen is built at its own level and could use the higher fence as a backdrop. I'd prefer 4 small pens to one large pen any day. You'll have two. Better for sorting.

I second this idea. More pens for sorting. As far as your base,something heavy with some good size stone in it to stabilize. Finish with med to small river rock if you have it available for cheap. Much easier on cows hooves.

bball":yualvbsc said:
backhoeboogie":yualvbsc said:
Ridgefarmer63":yualvbsc said:

Any ideas / experiences?

Thanks,

Mike

I second this idea. More pens for sorting. As far as your base,something heavy with some good size stone in it to stabilize. Finish with med to small river rock if you have it available for cheap. Much easier on cows hooves.

The problem with that idea (a separate area), which I like, is that I need the room for the tractor when I clean the barn. Probably not the best design but I am stuck with it.

We have a product around here called rip rap?, which is rocks and chunks of rocks of various sizes. Thinking of using that then a layer of smaller more uniform stones then 6 inches of loam, maybe on the loam.