BarrelRacing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have raced alot of good horses, but the horse I have now isn't quite how I would like a barrel horse.

My AQH Koko runs hard to the barrels, but turns the barrel and then kind of hangs around at the barrel before kicking up again and running to the next one. It's hard to explain. She'll kind of stand and turn at the same time, just for a second then head on. It really bothers me because she does it at Poles too and it makes me lose valuable seconds. It makes me feel like we'll never make it to the big leagues!

I have tried many bits, and I have found it's nothing to do with that. She doesn't do leg commands well, so I figure maybe if I get her to respond to them better, she will improve. Any suggestions? Please help if you can!

"It really bothers me because she does it at Poles too and it makes me lose valuable seconds."

Let me rephrase that. She does it at the end pole when you turn to go back through the pattern. Both of her other end poles are awesome! Her problem with poles is that she doesn't change leads fast enough for me to gallop thru them. Help with that too please

> "It really bothers me because
> she does it at Poles too and it
> makes me lose valuable
> seconds."

> Let me rephrase that. She does it
> at the end pole when you turn to
> go back through the pattern. Both
> of her other end poles are
> awesome! Her problem with poles is
> that she doesn't change leads fast
> enough for me to gallop thru them.
> Help with that too please

Jen your into the heart of the season.Are you competing every weekend?

I'm going to ask you a few questions and see if we can work it out, if you want to. Do you have access to an indoor arena in the winter? Do you only ride seasonally? Do you ride with spurs? Use a bat? Reins? What type of bit? Do you use a tiedown? What direction is the probblem accouring on? After we answer these questions we will go back to basics. It will take alot of paitent work.But you know a good hores is worth the time and trouble.

Stay in touch..

[email protected]

"It really bothers me because she does it at Poles too and it makes me lose valuable seconds."

Let me rephrase that. She does it at the end pole when you turn to go back through the pattern. Both of her other end poles are awesome! Her problem with poles is that she doesn't change leads fast enough for me to gallop thru them. Help with that too please

No, actually I compete 1-2 weekends a month.

No Access to indoor arena... I believe that someone near by is building one though.

I ride almost every day!

No spurs, too harsh.

I use a nylon over/under.

Yes, I use a tie-down.

Lets see... I run down, turn an awesome end pole, and heres where the trouble begins.. She doesn't change leads fast enough. She is bouncy and difficult to ride. THen she stops at the end pole and turns while she stands, taking a few seconds, then goes back thru them the same way. She isn't bounncy if I go slower, but then I don't win. In barrels she just does the same thing like at the end pole, just stands and waits unntil she is turned completely arouund, then starts up again.

And If it helps, and just for the records, I use a Rutledge Roper bit, one of the only ones that really works on her.

I 'preciate the help, I put my email on this time if you'd like to email me instead of coming back here everytime. I figured it would be easier. :)

~Jennifer

[email protected]

> No, actually I compete 1-2
> weekends a month.

> No Access to indoor arena... I
> believe that someone near by is
> building one though.

> I ride almost every day!

> No spurs, too harsh.

> I use a nylon over/under.

> Yes, I use a tie-down.

> Lets see... I run down, turn an
> awesome end pole, and heres where
> the trouble begins.. She doesn't
> change leads fast enough. She is
> bouncy and difficult to ride. THen
> she stops at the end pole and
> turns while she stands, taking a
> few seconds, then goes back thru
> them the same way. She isn't
> bounncy if I go slower, but then I
> don't win. In barrels she just
> does the same thing like at the
> end pole, just stands and waits
> unntil she is turned completely
> arouund, then starts up again.

> And If it helps, and just for the
> records, I use a Rutledge Roper
> bit, one of the only ones that
> really works on her.

> I 'preciate the help, I put my
> email on this time if you'd like
> to email me instead of coming back
> here everytime. I figured it would
> be easier. :)

> ~Jennifer

I don't see your e-mail Jen so we will work with what we have. On the end pole is she traveling right or left? that is the lead she needs to work on. 1st I'd like you to pick up that hoof hold it facing her shoulder,then lift with all your might. That should pop her shoulder in if it is out.Let me know how it goes.

[email protected]

> She doesn't do leg commands
> well, so I figure maybe if I get
> her to respond to them better, she
> will improve. Any suggestions?
> Please help if you can!

You hit on something important here. If you can get her to respond to your legs, you won't have to use so much bit to get the tight turn. I have a feeling the bit is almost stopping her until you get her turned and let up. I hope your bit dosen't have a high port.

Here is an exercise that will help the turns. Ride in an arena or corral pen with square corners. Lets start going around to the right. Move about 10 feet away from the rail. Now take the LEFT lead. When you get about 10 feet from the corner, instead of turning right, turn left into the corner and make a tight turn, with your right leg pushing her around the turn. After the turn keep going on the left lead 10 feet off the rail and do the same turn in every corner. If she won't do it at a canter, do it at a trot first. The corner will help turn her tight so you can use less bit for the turn, and if you use your leg every time you can teach her to keep moving and turn away from the leg pushing her. As she gets better at this you can reduce space between you and the rail. As you get closer and make a tighter turn, you will need to look over your shoulder at her hip as you make the turn so your body language helps turn her. If you don't have an arena or pen with square corners, just build one corner for the exercise. Use three barrels and two 12 foot poles to make your corner. When she gets used to turning without having the bit pull her around, she should keep her engine running and not stall out in your tight turns. Good luck.

Latest posts