Barrel Bits

Help Support CattleToday:

Jazzin_Bobby

Reaction score
Hey I am thinging about getting a TenderTouch barrel bit and I was wondering if there is any more preferences of barrel bits or even some internet sites to get the cheapest ones. Thanks Jazzin

Mostly, I ride with a mechanical Hackamore, so I'm not much help there.

Have you tried Valley Vet or Rods? Maybe check out Barrel Horse World.com.

I'm sure when you start riding with your team that you get loads of helpful information.

My daughter uses a Jim Warner Hackamore on her barrel horses. (Most of the time) She has changed to a draw bit on one, and it seems to work better for him than the Hack. Each horse is different, bits work different, best thing you can do, if you have someone that has a good selection of bits and will let you borrow one at a time, try them for a week or so, see how you like it before you start goin out and buying bits, it can get expensive!!! LOL The best bit for your horse is the one that works the best with you as a rider.

Jazzin_Bobby":2przsaju said:
Hey I am thinging about getting a TenderTouch barrel bit and I was wondering if there is any more preferences of barrel bits or even some internet sites to get the cheapest ones. Thanks Jazzin

Most people I know who barrel race use some type of hackamore, not a bit.

You use what ever works on the horse.We have won money with everything from a side pull to a highport roping bit.
Most of it has to do with your hands.You can put a halter on one and pull too much and have him run off.
You dont say how old and how long this horse has been started or ridden at all.A good quality ring snaffle goes along way.If the horse is working fine as is keep doing what you are doing untill the horse tells you its time to move on.
Ring bits and I have some home made hackamours that I use a lot on a lot of horses.They have very little weight and very little shank.They act a lot like a side pull but you stil have some leverage whan you need some.
Your hands are what makes any headgear work well.Pull too much and nothing works.
If you keep riding horses you will end up with a semi load of bits and all sorts of equipment what works on one today tomorrow wont.

clampitt":1b9b7ebl said:
You use what ever works on the horse.We have won money with everything from a side pull to a highport roping bit.
Most of it has to do with your hands.You can put a halter on one and pull too much and have him run off.
You dont say how old and how long this horse has been started or ridden at all.A good quality ring snaffle goes along way.If the horse is working fine as is keep doing what you are doing untill the horse tells you its time to move on.
Ring bits and I have some home made hackamours that I use a lot on a lot of horses.They have very little weight and very little shank.They act a lot like a side pull but you stil have some leverage whan you need some.
Your hands are what makes any headgear work well.Pull too much and nothing works.
If you keep riding horses you will end up with a semi load of bits and all sorts of equipment what works on one today tomorrow wont.

Excellent points - all of them. :)

Well I got the tender touch barrel bit and it works GREAT! Thanks for your guy's imput! I really appreciate it. Now I am just waiting on getting my barrel saddle :D