Barn quote

Help Support CattleToday:

But I started out being serious and sim.-ang.king started all the non-sense, you know how he is always talking about crazy stuff :mrgreen:

Closed cell foam runs about a dollar a inch per square foot. There's no air loss with it so you can get by with less anything over 2 inches in a shop or barn is over kill. When you facter in the air loss with fiberglass a r13 fiberglass insulation wall only has a r value of 5.

Caustic has an all steel house--ask him what material he used to insulate with.
NO, it's not a dang mobile home either.

greybeard":2g2i927m said:
Caustic has an all steel house--ask him what material he used to insulate with.
NO, it's not a dang mobile home either.

I've seen the pictures he posted and he did it right for sure

You may want to blow 12" of insulation in the ceiling. That will be much more important than the loss/gain through the walls.

High quality windows will be important.

Using typical pole-barn building techniques, the 2 x 4's will run horizontal so you'll have 1 1/2 inches of space. 1 1/2 inches of spray should work very well.

To live off the grid, a woodstove would be nice, as are propane wall heaters and gas lights.

In-floor heat would be a dream.

You can also bury 1000 feet of 6" pipe in the ground and draw cool air through it for A/C. Just takes a small solar panel or DC fan to pull the 55-60 degree air.

cross_7":117f2reu said:
Even though this is going to be more of a house than barn
Would 2" be optimal ?

On walls 2" would be. You might want to considered open cell foam on the ceiling its cheaper, the r value is less, you could get , 6" for about 1.70 that way if your roof leaks you'll know, with closed you won't know till starts to rust. If you live way up north like Montana your requirements will be different forget everything I said.

"Rahe Family Belties"
You can also bury 1000 feet of 6" pipe in the ground and draw cool air through it for A/C. Just takes a small solar panel or DC fan to pull the 55-60 degree air.

I've heard that before
Does it really work ?

cross_7":15c1kwnr said:
"Rahe Family Belties"

I've heard that before
Does it really work ?

Anywhere but Oklahoma. Told you to not buy there. LOL

Texas PaPaw":27boyk69 said:
cross_7":27boyk69 said:
"Rahe Family Belties"

I've heard that before
Does it really work ?

Anywhere but Oklahoma. Told you to not buy there. LOL

I can throw a rock and hit Kansas from where I'm at, does it work in Kansas ?