barn post level

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer":1lba9qvx said:
How do you know exactly where to cut so that all post are the same height?

String and level... they don't have to be perfect.

The trusses are metal and the guy said the post needed to be almost perfect to prevent other problems . He recommended a transit but I have never used one.

denoginnizer":eu6t0f7x said:
The trusses are metal and the guy said the post needed to be almost perfect to prevent other problems . He recommended a transit but I have never used one.

We always nailed a runner on the posts to build the trusses on. We never used store bought trusses although I can't see how it would matter either way.

The guy is selling a kit that builds a 24x48 barn for 2899.00 plus Tax. I havent compared the prices of his lumber to lumber at another store yet but his "kit" includes:
10 6x6x14
28 2x6x14
28 2x6x12
4 5/4x6x14
12 2x4x12
20 60lb bags concrete
36 3'x14 tin
5 10' Ridge cap
1500 screws
5 24' metal trusses
2lb 6d galv joist nails
1/2lb 8d spiral nails
20 6" carriage bolts
35 bolts 1'

About 2.52, plus tax, per square foot . Does that seem high? low? about right?

If you don't have access to a transit, just pull a tight string all the way around the barn posts and get the string level.

Then measure up from the string the same distance on each pole and cut them off.

With a chainsaw.

This work well with two people.

Set the post in the ground and use your carpernters level to make sure the post are straight up and down. Tamp them in good.

Go to Wallyworld (walmart) or any hardware store and purchase some nylon string and a linelevel (usually around $2 or $3). Go to the pole on one end and determine the height where you want the pole to be cutoff. Put in a nail and tie the on string. Go to the pole on the other end and pull the string straight. Have someone go up a ladder in the middle of the pole run and put the line level on the string. You can adjust the string up and down on the endpole until the linelevel shows level. Tie off the string. Use the ladder to mark a spot on each pole where the line is. You may have to push the each pole either away from the string or toward the string to get it marked. After all poles are marked, remove the string and as others have said use the chainsaw to cut the poles off.

I have built a 40' by 50" pole barn and then added 16' by 50' sheds down each side using this procedure.

denoginnizer":2t3zagcd said:
The guy is selling a kit that builds a 24x48 barn for 2899.00 plus Tax. I havent compared the prices of his lumber to lumber at another store yet but his "kit" includes:
10 6x6x14
28 2x6x14
28 2x6x12
4 5/4x6x14
12 2x4x12
20 60lb bags concrete
36 3'x14 tin
5 10' Ridge cap
1500 screws
5 24' metal trusses
2lb 6d galv joist nails
1/2lb 8d spiral nails
20 6" carriage bolts
35 bolts 1'

About 2.52, plus tax, per square foot . Does that seem high? low? about right?

This sounds like a fair price but, now that you have the material list, why don't you check the prices your self.

On thing I would change on the list is the 6"x6"x14' post. Assumming you would put these post in the ground 3' or so, this would only leave you about 11' above ground if you don't cut anything off. This will be high enough if you are not planning on building sheds down each side. If you do build sheds you will not have much clearenc height on the ends of the sheds. I would go with 16' post.

Use a water level. They sell them pretty cheap. They are just tubing with clear ends, fill with water, hold one end at one post the other end a another where the water levels are that point is exactly the same height.( water seeks its own level )

The water level is exact, ;-) but I would use a string level for a hay barn.

If you really want to clean up the tops. A belt sander following the chainsaw works.

One thing that hasn;t been mentioned is to cut the shortest post first. What I generally do is find the post that's in the highest place and cut them all to length based on that one. But none of our building areas are completely level either.

dun

IF you use the string deal be sure to put a 2x4 block under the string at the corner to keep it from rubbing the other posts or every burr on every post will catch the string and when you go to set you "headers" a half inch make a big deal in the look of the finished roof. IF I were closer I'd give you a hand.

I run the stringline about 3 ft from the ground ( easy to work with) across one row of poles, level it with a line level, mark each pole and put a nail there. then I run the stringline from the end pole to the other row, level and mark and level the next row from there. Ya end up with a nail in the same spot on every pole. Then you can measure up for headers and down for floor grades. jp

Borrow and old construction level. Set it up in the middle of the barn. Have some one mark each post as you look through the level. Measure up the same amount on each post and mark a spot to cut.

Latest posts