Barn Lighting Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I recently purchased property with a 40' x 110' horse barn (16' center aisle and 12' stalls on each side). Throughout the barn are 8' fluorscent light fixtures. There are probably 20 to 24 of those fixtures; however, either the bulbs are burnt, or the ballast are out on most of them. Last night it was 37 degrees outside and it took the few lights that worked 15-20 minutes to come on. I want to slowly replace the fluorscent fixtures with something else. What type of lighting do you have in your barn? What would you recommend.

The stalls on one side will be removed and set up with a cattle chute to work the small herd, and to do AI work. The rest of the barn will primarily be used for storage of equipment, some hay, etc. Lighting is important, but doesn't have to be "over the top".

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

I use halogen or merc vapor outdoor lights. I just cover the sensor so they'll come on when it isn;t dark.

I use fluorescent in everything and switching anything that isn't fluorescent over to it. Burn far less electricity by running fluorescent. You must have some issues there if they won't light up for 15-20 minutes. I have some in an unheated barn and while dim at startup they are bright in a matter of ~30 seconds at temps well below zero.

I have these bulbs in my 50x84 hoop building. 4 fixtures in there and it is bright as day inside. They have a standard base like a regular incandescent bulb so no fancy fixtures required. I am lighting the entire building with 420 watts.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1038/FC105-81180.html

You can't go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pay $10 for a two bulb, eight foot fluorescent fixture and expect it to work more than a week or at temperatures below 60F. A good ballast alone will cost you $45.00 or more but it will work for years and at all temperatures above -40.

I ain't pickin' on Home Depot or Lowe's because they do sell quality fixtures but you can't get them for $10.

Novaman is right on the money with light level/cost of operating flourescent lighting.

UncleLA":ozi0o71r said:
I recently purchased property with a 40' x 110' horse barn (16' center aisle and 12' stalls on each side). Throughout the barn are 8' fluorscent light fixtures. There are probably 20 to 24 of those fixtures; however, either the bulbs are burnt, or the ballast are out on most of them. Last night it was 37 degrees outside and it took the few lights that worked 15-20 minutes to come on. I want to slowly replace the fluorscent fixtures with something else. What type of lighting do you have in your barn? What would you recommend.

The stalls on one side will be removed and set up with a cattle chute to work the small herd, and to do AI work. The rest of the barn will primarily be used for storage of equipment, some hay, etc. Lighting is important, but doesn't have to be "over the top".

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

The lights that they have in a walmart or a big filling station. Some times you can find em new on ebay.

dun":2rxg9mbh said:
I use halogen or merc vapor outdoor lights. I just cover the sensor so they'll come on when it isn;t dark.

That's what I have in my barn. Have them spaced about 20 feet apart and its bright as day inside with no shadows. I picked the whole assembly up (bulb and all) for $30 through government surplus. Apparantly after 5 years the government replaces their's.

Jogeephus":281yx6by said:
dun":281yx6by said:

That's what I have in my barn. Have them spaced about 20 feet apart and its bright as day inside with no shadows. I picked the whole assembly up (bulb and all) for $30 through government surplus. Apparantly after 5 years the government replaces their's.
I did the same thing in my shop. Bought mine at a school auction. The only trouble is that they take a while to come on. I installed a couple of incandescents to light the place up until they are up and running.
As far as the fluorescents are concerned the old 8 footers in a barn don't seem to hold up well. Maybe the lack of AC. The new ones on the market are a lot brighter and hold up better. At least the 4 footers I have installed.

The 8' fluorscent with tubes also come with a cold start, thats what I have in my shop they come on right away in 20 below, thats what I would replace them with, I have tubes in them now that are over 5 yrs old, got them at Menards, Im sure Home depot and Lowes carry them too.

Well to light your barn you could spend lots of money or just do it like my 19 year old son...drive the NH tractor through the side wall of it!! :banana: :bang: Luckily noone ws hurt but man the insurance agent isn't going to be too happy nor my brother-in-law even though it doesn't appear from the photo I got on my cell that the tractor is damaged at all. My son can still be quite the : :dunce: :bang: