BARN Design Assistance...

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
Couldn't find anywhere else to post about barn design stuff so here goes. ..

In the picture below you will see a 14' X 60' side of the barn. The Lower Right hand of the picture is where the cows/calves come into the barn out of the field. I have a 14' gate that stretches the width of the barn to section it into two sections for seperating cows/calves. Have a 8' gate the closes the lane off so the cows can't back out once in the lane. The very top of the picture is an 10' gate and a 4' gate chained together for easy assess to this side of the barn from the front of the barn.. In front of those 2 gates is my feed wagon and a small open area with a big sliding door for entrance. Now, my question is this... Once we get the cows/calves seperated and begin working the cows.. They tend to circle in the corners, or circle around me/us and head around the 8' propped back gate to get in between the 8' gate and the 14' cut gate across the barn... Without spending umpteen dollars, in general, how can I make this either funnel down, design a sweep in it somehow, or what without creating a lot of unusable space. I want something to assist with me/dad/helpers not getting hurt with some of the last cows down the lane and becoming in fight/flight mode as the day wears on... Please help.

That 14' width is limiting your options, bt how wide is your working lane at it's entrance?
Where are you doing your sorting?
How many total animals do you usually work at a time--that is how many total are in the barn before you start sorting?

This is all I've got--you may have to mess with it some to get it to fit what you already have. Should give you a long alley to run them in (about 30' long) and sort before they reach your working lane. Maybe I'm just looking at it all wrong tho. That alley could be made of anything really--doesn't have to be expensive or even permanent. The note at the very bottom should say "then add everything outlined in orange".
(hope you can see it--dunno why the resolution changed)
kauw.jpg

Can't move the 4' gate opening at the back of the barn as it is framed and has siding on the outside of the entire barn. The 14' gate is on this front side of the lane opening. It is 33" wide and it is located on the outside of the barn. It is 40' long. Leaving 20 ' in the back section of the barn. When we turn them in the barn they go to that back section and can cut calves out of that side with the 14' cut gate if needed. 15 cows, bull, and 5-10 calves depending. Opening is about 5-7' wide. The 8' gate overlaps the opening a little.

Stole GB's hard work. :lol2:
Made it a swing gate style. You make another small pen down at that end so you could have a surplus waiting, so you wouldn't have to catch a couple then go back and catch a couple more.
9353774217_aaf1c7afc2_z.jpg

sim.-ang.king":11m9zf5c said:
Made it a swing gate style. You make another small pen down at that end so you could have a surplus waiting, so you wouldn't have to catch a couple then go back and catch a couple more.
That will work too and be easier than moving the 4' gate on the right bottom of the barn.

sim.-ang.king":1w54ebit said:

:). Thanks, but... You guys are working from the wrong end of the 14' gate... It's on the lower side of the opening to go outside into the lane...And I can't move the barn door from A to B... It's the only opening on that end of the barn...Keep trying... Like your thinking... Could add it back from the other end of the barn to the lane, but then they prob wouldn't go over to it and run back and forth from the back gate to the closed 14' gate..

Here is what the barn currently looks like.. Outside 4' opening can't be moved..
URL=http://s660.photobucket.com/user/machslammer/media/9353774217_aaf1c7afc2_z_zps170e6d0f.jpg.html]
9353774217_aaf1c7afc2_z_zps170e6d0f.jpg
[/URL]

Attach a 6' to 8' lightweight tube gate to the end of the 14' gate in the middle of the barn. Sweep

the cattle with the 14' gate, and let the 6' to 8' gate open and close as you sweep. You should have

the cattle crowded on the left side of the barn. When you get through working cattle, close and tie

the 6' to 8' back to the 14' gate, and it is out of your way.

Caustic Burno":23nf3zma said:
Why do you want that chute alley that wide? You are setting up for trainwreck's IMO.

33" wide? That's rubbing both sides of my cows in most cases... I throw an extra panel in there for calves.

Any luck? where does your Cut Gate hinge? can you swing the Chute Gate 180° if the cute gate is out of the way?

Caustic Burno":3brr31c3 said:
glfgy74":3brr31c3 said:
Caustic Burno":3brr31c3 said:
Why do you want that chute alley that wide? You are setting up for trainwreck's IMO.

What's the recommended width on an alley way?

I like mine 28 inches wide 30 " at most, I want them dragging hair when they come down it.

geez...i think i'm dragging hair down that sucker....you have it "V'ing" up?

Heavy bred cows struggle to get down it without losing some hair. And the siding of the barn is slick so nothing for them to grab to if they do try to turn around. They have been down it 4 times now and noone has gotten turned around yet. Now calves can, but when I throw in an extra panel it eliminates them being able to as well.

what if you just add an alley way/portable fence where the other guys added the cut gate? you can use the current cut gate as a sweep and have an alley way and not spend a whole bunch.....eliminate that whole back side unless you want to cut cows out...

at 14' width, you could create 3 gates at just under 5' and make it where they all can rotate and open to cut cows if needed...they lift out when you aren't working cows.

Latest posts