barn cats

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Okay, I have accepted the fact that I am going to lose barn cats. Owls, hawks, eagles, coyotes, bobcats, feral tomcats, cars,....we have lost quite a few, including some that just disappear without ever knowing what happened. We just lost another a couple weeks ago. She just disappeared. She was a gray and white cat adopted from the shelter, I told the wife that she was rabbit colored and would be eaten by something. Well, she showed up again a week later, dehydrated, torn to pieces, barely alive, but alive and breathing, but not moving. Smart guy would end it with a .22 bullet. But, NOOOO,....not me! Our "free" barn cat is now worth $350.00 due to vet bills. Now watch, I will turn her out once she is healed up and she will get eaten, runover, or something else the first day. Darn near worth as much as a calf now...... :mad:

A good mouser is worth it's weight in gold. But outside cats, every one of them, whether they are your barn cats or ferals in the neighborhood, are prey for owls, hawks, eagles, coyotes, feral dogs, or some neighbor that doesn't like cats. We don't have car-crash problems with cats on our road. Locally, there's a program that recognizes the value of a barn cat. We can take a cat in and have it spayed or neutered (hauled from here to a Seattle clinic) for about $5/each. Depending on the sex, they notch one ear or the other so that the cat is easily identified as being fixed. When I came on this place in 2006, there were 3 (maybe 4?) females, all breeding like crazy with the male from the next property. We gave away a bunch of those kittens, live-trapped the mamas and the rest of the remaining babies that were about 4 mos. old, sent them all off to be fixed and paid extra for shots. Had plenty of barn cats. Now, out of that bunch, we have 2. We've never not spent money on an injured cat that needed help, but have only had one we had to do that with, and I think he got in a fight with a raccoon. Couldn't pull him back together.

the sad fact is barn cats will come an go an they will get eaten or shot.when we had the dairy running we would have as meny as 30 cats or more.an now we dont have a cat on the place at all.

Kind of a interesting read, we don't have much of a problem losing our barn cats, but have lost a few. Although we do have lots of cover for them, blackberries and low brush. Plus we have a bunch of small game, squirrels, chipmunks, mole, etc. for the Yotes, hawks eagles and other predators to fill up on. The cats we have lost have all been born in a loving house, meaning some nice little old lady set up a box in her closet for her loving fluffy to give birth and then she raised the kittens with lots of human contact ...... The were gone in a matter of months. The ones we have now were born a barn or "the litter is some where over there, just haven't found it yet" type of a place. It usually took a couple of kids and a hour to catch the kittens. Of those type of barn cats, we have one that is around 14 yrs, one that is about 11 and three (from the same litter) around 7 yrs. but like I said we have lots of low brush for cover. We also have 4 large dogs who leave the cats alone, but not any neighbor dog, yote, raccoon, etc that comes on their side of their property line. Yes they are all spayed or neutered. I should add that of the five cats my wife can pet all, non are the type that bolts when they see me and two will let me pick them up until they want down, the signal they want down is usually a growl or a hiss and a swat at me .... Just my type of cats.

Alan

grubbie":3qdeuppe said:
Our "free" barn cat is now worth $350.00 due to vet bills. Now watch, I will turn her out once she is healed up and she will get eaten, runover, or something else the first day. Darn near worth as much as a calf now...... :mad:

WOW! Let's see $350. X 9lives (the sorrier they are the more they have)= $3150. that free cat is one high maintenance rat trap. WOW! Again :D

lynnmcmahan":1uns4g6n said:
grubbie":1uns4g6n said:
Our "free" barn cat is now worth $350.00 due to vet bills. Now watch, I will turn her out once she is healed up and she will get eaten, runover, or something else the first day. Darn near worth as much as a calf now...... :mad:

WOW! Let's see $350. X 9lives (the sorrier they are the more they have)= $3150. that free cat is one high maintenance rat trap. WOW! Again :D

I can relate ,except mine is a "free" dog. She showed up as a pup 6 years ago on the 6th of July ,after trying to find her owners with no success and getting her spayed as well as an umbilical hernia fixed we all came to the conclusion she was dumped at our place. 3 weeks ago she thought she should take on a double trailer gravel truck ,stupid stupid dog . :mad: We are 3 grand into it and not done yet . Most would have shot her but she had nothing life threatening wrong with her ,no broken bones or internal injuries . There is no such thing as a "free" dog or cat . :(
I hope she heals well and behaves herself for you from now on Grubbie . :tiphat:

grubbie":t8gl8rjm said:
Okay, I have accepted the fact that I am going to lose barn cats. Owls, hawks, eagles, coyotes, bobcats, feral tomcats, cars,....we have lost quite a few, including some that just disappear without ever knowing what happened. We just lost another a couple weeks ago. She just disappeared. She was a gray and white cat adopted from the shelter, I told the wife that she was rabbit colored and would be eaten by something. Well, she showed up again a week later, dehydrated, torn to pieces, barely alive, but alive and breathing, but not moving. Smart guy would end it with a .22 bullet. But, NOOOO,....not me! Our "free" barn cat is now worth $350.00 due to vet bills. Now watch, I will turn her out once she is healed up and she will get eaten, runover, or something else the first day. Darn near worth as much as a calf now...... :mad:

We are over run with them. Come on up and I will get you a dozen or so - what colour, gender and age would you like?

I bet there are at least 15 running around the place right now

Bez

snake67":5vegwgk9 said:
grubbie":5vegwgk9 said:

We are over run with them. Come on up and I will get you a dozen or so - what colour, gender and age would you like?

I bet there are at least 15 running around the place right now

Bez

Are they spayed and neutered ? ;-)

Hi HD

If you have a set of heavy gloves, a hockey stick with a fishing net on the end of it, a couple burlap bags, a huge budget and an obliging veterinarian - I can get them all done up for you!

Just take me a couple hours to set out the food and get ready for the catching.

About one in ten is friendly enough to touch - the others just do their job and catch rodents.

Our guard dogs pretty much keep the four legged predators at bay here - but the odd cat goes via the way of the owl or the hawk.

Everyone has to make a living - so we do not complain when one goes to feed a feathered friend.

We never seem to run out of cats and we always seem to be short on mice - all in all a good thing.

Cheers

Bez

snake67":1x39cpnp said:
Hi HD

If you have a set of heavy gloves, a hockey stick with a fishing net on the end of it, a couple burlap bags, a huge budget and an obliging veterinarian - I can get them all done up for you!

About one in ten is friendly enough to touch - the others just do their job and catch rodents.

Our guard dogs pretty much keep the four legged predators at bay here - but the odd cat goes via the way of the owl or the hawk.

Everyone has to make a living - so we do not complain when one goes to feed a feathered friend.

We never seem to run out of cats and we always seem to be short on mice - all in all a good thing.

Cheers

Bez

Get you a good Jack Russell no more cat's or mice that is a good thing.
You wont have an unwanted varmit on the place.

Caustic

I have two large dogs - shepherd collie cross - that sleep in the hallway of the house.

I have a border collie that sleeps on the wifes side of the bed

My daughter has a tiny kick me dog that sleeps on her pillow

I have two Akbash dogs loose in the yard 24/7 that may stay - not mine - but fine guard dogs - and they seem to love our family and all animals - which is a bonus

Nothing moves here without something being barked at or bitten or in a few cases being literally mobbed and killed by my pack - scary when they all get in on the action - only seen it a couple of times - but I really did not want to get in the middle

I like your terrier breed - but my dog food bill is big enough as it is - thanks my friend

Cheers

Bez

I understand Bez.
You are most likely not quirky enough to own one anyway.
Russell's are quirky dog's so I guess that say's a lot about their owner.
Cat's just like you for your money, time's get rough they will leave you.
Dog will starve to death with you.
I don't like cat's not having anything on my place that think's it own's me.

A good barncat only shows up often enough to let you know they're on the job

snake67":15qt74ij said:
Hi HD

:lol:

Cheers

Bez

Hi Bez ! :D We have 2 female "barn" cats that are spayed but we always end up with toms sneaking around and causing shytt. The Kit Kat hates all cats as he really does not think of himself as a cat and ends up in fights a lot and often costing me hundreds upon hundreds of $'s at a time. Thankfully Spartan(Pyrenees/Anatolian) has decided he hates any new animal on the place now and goes after all strays so that has helped a little. I would love more cats as we have more mice than cats ,BUT was told if I get more cats either they ,or I will disappear . :shock: Apparently I cannot be trusted with even strays as I kinda tend to make them pets . :oops:

Tell your wife that we have a lot in common. Nikkle has her very own spot on our bed except she has her own pillow and sleeps in between Mr HD and I like a person .Life without a pet ,especially a dog would be so empty . :nod:

Hope all is well; take care of yourself and be safe Bez . :tiphat:

Latest posts