Barber Shortage ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A lot of people don't use them anymore it seems. The one I used for years just died, another local had a dope problem and is no longer in business. Probably have to drive 30 miles to find one as there use to be one or more in every little town around.

Last edited:
A lot of people don't use them anymore it seems. The one I used for years just died, another local had a dope problem and is no longer in business. Probably have to drive 30 miles to find one as there use to be one or more in every little town around.
Is there one in our county? I actually can't think of one.
I started going to a ladies salon several years ago because I can get in at 7am and be out by 7:15.

Is there one in our county? I actually can't think of one.
I started going to a ladies salon several years ago because I can get in at 7am and be out by 7:15.
I can think of maybe three beauticians, but not one barber. A good local barber could stay very busy IMO. If my hair keeps getting thinner I don't have to worry much longer. My dad had a full head of hair, but on my mothers side on one branch balding is not that uncommon. I must have gotten that gene. It could be worse I guess.

Wife has been cutting my hair for several years now. Used to be several barber shops downtown, but like @jltrent said, they've either died off or doped out.
@kenny thomas I went to a women's hair place once. My regular barber at the time had a habit of cutting one side a lot more and better than the other depending on whether he was facing the loafers and joining in the jawing. Anyways I went to the women's salon to get it evened for some reason or another. One time deal there, it cost almost 3 times what the old fellow downtown charged and conversations weren't near as interesting either.

My barber from childhood died 10 years ago. He was starting to cut the tops of my ears off anyway. I bought Wahl clippers and haven't been to a barber since. I do all the cutting, then my wife fixes my mess.

My wife cuts mine but I don't know how much longer she will be able to.

There is one barber here in town but at some point he will hang up his clippers, he is down to three days a week now.

I can still think of one barber in my area, but that's it. There are places that cut hair, but not necessarily ladies salons; it's just where everyone goes for a haircut.

I think there was a time here when guys went to barbers and women went to beauty parlors. When guys started to like their hair longer and fuller in the 60s and 70s, word was that the barber would "scalp" you. It seemed like no matter how much you explained it to a barber, he always took off too much, so guys started going elsewhere.

It is 30 miles to the barber but then it is 30 miles to anything. There is 2 barbers in town. Maybe 3. That third one was at the truck stop. I don't know if he is still there or not. I went to him one time when I first moved here. Once was enough. There is also a woman who just opened a new shop. Her sign says men, women, children and walk ins welcome.

My wife cuts my hair, set of Wahl clippers with the #1(shortest) guard. Get it cut every 3-4 weeks.
My daughter in law has 2 sisters that are barbers, the eldest of the 2 (about 24 years old) owns the shop. $14 for a haircut and they rack up on tips. The eldest one that owns the shop if I remember right told me that she has cut 50 head of hair in one day by herself. They're both pretty girls, so I would imagine that attracts alot of business as well as they are very sweet and good Christian girls so that also attracts alot of business.

I went to Cosmetology school... 😅🤣😂🤡
I wanted to volunteer to help do less fortunate haircuts. Or cancer patients they have a program look good feel good, helps cancer patients get wigs and different stuff. I never got my licenses I ended up getting in the Operating engineering union when I finished Cosmetology school. I still have a few more years I could take my test to get my licenses.
I'm really not in to all the makeup, hair colors, ect. I feel like maybe I should have just went to barber school. Yet with Cosmetology it gives you more options. I enjoy doing hair when I did it.

Latest posts