Votes: 9 28.1%
  • When I REALLY need a haircut

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Wife cuts it

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

dun

Reaction score
I stopped in for my very occasioanl shearing today and was amazed at how many old farts came in that looked like they had just gotten a haircut. Also discovered that there is a whole social world that those people seem to share.
Just seemes strange to me!

You have spent too much time talking to cows, is my guess. Gathering at the barber shop is more important than the Masons or the K of C.
I go when the daughter shames me into it. Usually to Sam's. What hog confinements are to industrial ag, Sams is to haircutting.

I cast my vote for every couple of weeks.

I think the social gathering around the barbershop is more of a rural thing. In my home town the old folks still come in, sit around and shoot the bull. Some even get a shave - with a straight razor, no less with their hair cut! Time doesn't seem to enter into the equation at all. Even the cost seems to be in a time warp, they charge $10 for a hair cut but in Houston your lucky if you can get one for $15 and they charge you $2 more if you want your hair combed like you had it when you came in. I have no idea how much they charge if you ask them to cut the hair growing out your ears, eye brows or nose.

So how many barber shops can you still get a shoe shine? Those disappeared years ago even in the rural shops. Now if you want a shine you have to go to the car wash or the airport. Go figure.

I will say that the hair cuts I get in Houston are more to my liking. At least they don't look like they put a bowl over your head (white sidewalls, I think they call it). :D

I remember getting haircuts for a quarter but you had to go with a buddy because one had to crank the shears while the other one got his hair cut. Then the REA come along and Mr. Register got electric shears and went up on his price..... to fifty cents.

I quit going to the barber when Woodrow McIntyre died. Not the president, but Woodrow McIntyre the barber in Vidalia. Went to the beauty shop maybe 3 or 4 times but the appointment thing didn't suit my lifestyle. Not to mention I got kind of angsty in there with a bunch of women sitting under hairdriers. Got my wife to cut it, got my wife's neice to cut it. Couldn't get anybody else to cut it so now I cut it. Looks OK from the front.

ga. prime said:
I quit going to the barber when Woodrow McIntyre died. Not the president, but Woodrow McIntyre the barber in Vidalia. Went to the beauty shop maybe 3 or 4 times but the appointment thing didn't suit my lifestyle. Not to mention I got kind of angsty in there with a bunch of women sitting under hairdriers. Got my wife to cut it, got my wife's neice to cut it. Couldn't get anybody else to cut it so now I cut it. Looks OK from the front.[/quote]

Well you just opened that can of worms. PICS are required now so we can be the judge of that.. :lol2:

I voted wife ,for Mr. HD .I used to have to do my dads as well but my carpel tunnel is not very good so I got out of that one, but as time goes by hubby has a choice, I cut his hair or AI cows as the more I do like that the harder it gets.. Hopefully I can get him going to a barber again soon..

I voted once a month, I think that's a pretty good guess, a haircut is one of those things you always figure you can get one more day out of. For years had an old feller nameed Scotty cut it, but he retired, woman cuts it now. Funny thing Scotty would get to telling a story and forget to cut your hair, this woman the more she talks the better she cuts.

Larry

As a boy, I was taken to Freeman Lowry. He was old, even then. He buzzed every head that came in front of him for 25 cents. He was a character, as most small town barbers were, back then. I go to Fiesta now. Walk in when I want and some nice lady cuts my hair for $14. I have to endure the distinct feminine atmosphere, but 'ya do what you have to do.

Hey Lavaca -- if you want a good cut in Houston for $5.00 US dollars go to Mike's Barber Shop on Chimney Rock, just a little north of 59. I've been going there for years. $5.00 for the cut and I give them a $2 or $3 tip depending on how shaggy I was. But you might want to brush up on your TexMex, since most of the barbers have a good bit of difficulty deciphering plain English. :)

Since my hair got so thin on top I just get out the shears about every three weeks and buzz it all off.
Works for me,not trying to impress the womens anymore anyhow. :lol: :lol:

Cal

I'm glad to know that there are others who cut their own hair. Since my shears broke I've had the last couple done at the barber shop and it is truly better source of info than reading the paper. I agree there are many who seem to go in there for no other reason than to talk cause their hair sure doesn't need cutting. One day I'm gonna get a shave at the barber. Straight edge, hot towell the whole nine yards.

wife just takes the clippers and shears mine off as short as they will go
I could use one every 2 weeks but I usually wait a month
Daughter is a beautician, guess we should have seen that coming she started cutting my hair and trimming my mustache when she was about 10

If it wasn't so expensive I'd have it cut every other week, but I usually try to squeeze two months out of a buzz. No. 1 on the sides and a bit more on top. Wife's been trying to get at me with the horse clippers for years but I won't let her that close to my jugular with a sharp object.

hillsdown":13hibexk said:
Well you just opened that can of worms. PICS are required now so we can be the judge of that..
Well not judge but just have an opinion and perhaps a good :lol:!

Steve takes the clippers and shears his old bald head about every other week. I come back and catch what he missed.

Barber shop is the best source of news since Walter Cronkite.
There's a quote on the wall of the local joint that reads something like :
'It's a shame that all the people in America that really know how to run the country are either cutting hair or driving taxis."
Ain't it the truth.

Latest posts