barb-wire

Help Support CattleToday:

With that sand your post probably need to be no more than 10 feet apart maybe even 8 i build mine 10-10 post ten feet apart wire ten inches apart. at least 5 strands you got any neighboring cattle?

How many acres? If small you would be well advised to use field fence with one strand of barbed wire on top of it. I find it comforting to know they ain't getting out and dogs ain't getting in. I make sure I have it down right on the ground. I use this at the house for my replacement pets. At the farm I use barbed wire for the fields. 5 strands except where I need to keep bulls apart. Then I use 8 strands. 5 on one side, 3 on the other. I really only have problems with the Angus bull, the others don't fight.

As far as spacing barbed wire, I start the first strand about 8 inches above the ground. The next two are spaced 8 inches apart. The top two are spaced 10 inches apart. This gives me about 44 inches. Usually plenty unless you have some jumpers. I like the field fencing for small areas where I keep replacements or calves. A calf can go through barbed wire like a deer. Anywhere a calf might get crowded I would use field fencing. There is a fence calculator on Tractor Supply that might help you also.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&LearnID=34

I took old telephone posts and cut them into 8' lengths, and cemented them in the ground 60' apart- putting three metal T-posts between each telephone pole (so the barbed wire is supported every 15 feet)- Stretched the wire good and tight (5 strands) and it works great on cows of all sizes and was economical to build. If I had a nasty bull though, I might worry. (If I coud've afforded to use field fence, I would have....ya can't beat it- and iffin ya ever want other types of animules- like goats or something- ya don't have to worry...it works great on just about everything...if you can afford field fence, go for it!)

i'm thinking 5 strand bw, 7" corner post, t post 10' apart. i'm on a clay hill so i'm not worried about sand. should i use a 5" wood post every 5th t post? how does this sound?

'

We have a bunch built by the previous owner that's 3 strand and the posts are 20 feet apart. Keeps the cows in fine. Of course there's nothin on the other side but either timber or a dirt road.
We use 5 strands a foot apart and posts 6-8 feet apart depending on the terrain

dun

FWIW: I've run field fence with 8" corners double with "H" bracing, 15 centers on t-posts, 8" wood posts every 120'.
While not suiting everyones criteria, it has worked well on a combination of clay and sandy soil. This is all interior fence. Perimiter is all 5 strand barbed wire. Sure prefer working with the field fence.

NORTH FLORIDA":1wlac4v8 said:
i'm thinking 5 strand bw, 7" corner post, t post 10' apart. i'm on a clay hill so i'm not worried about sand. should i use a 5" wood post every 5th t post? how does this sound?

'

I only use t posts for emergency repairs, not my main fence support but that's just me. I might use them for an interior fence but not perimeter fencing but again that's just me. I like to be able to leave the farm without worring about getting a call that my cattle are out.

The only bad things about field fence is when the cattle push it down by sticking their heads between the barbed wire and field fence. We've got tons like that. Also it is harder to clean it out if it gets overgrown with vines and brush then the barbed wire is.

change in subject. I've heard people mention broke mouth cattle.Does this mean old cattle? I don't understand?
Also cattle reports 1,2,3 steers, what does this mean?

Broken mouth cows are missing teth and usually denotes older cows.
1,2,3 relates to the muscle grade, 1 being the heaviest muscled, 3 the lightest

dun

I am currently doing barb wire fencing in LA (lower alabama) I am putting up 5 stands of Gaucho 15 1/2 gauge at

52"
40"
28"
18"
8"
and the post are between 10 and 12' apart depending if it's clay or sand. My T-post are 6 1/2" long and I put them in 1 1/2 ft. I am using 6-8" ( a set to form an "H" with diagonal wire bracing) wood post for the corners and every 100" I use another 4-5" wood post

I am also putting up an electric fence wire ( on T-post extenders)at 6" and 24" to help keep my escape artist (GOATS) in the same field.

A couple weeks ago we had a 7 month old calf go through 4 strands, easily. Our neighbors just had 4 cows go through 4 strands as well. We've decided to run 6 strands....8" apart is good.

We use five strands starting at 8'' then 12" run one hot wire nose height...put three strands of hot wire around the steer
pen just to keep up the respect in the fence (horned herfs tend to pull the wire). We have hilly runs so post spacing varies with the hills and valleys but normally space at 15' with the T posts and a wooden "H" brace where needed at the tops and bottoms of the hill runs and every 150-200 feet on straight runs. Have fun, I always look like a Myan sacrifice after a day working fences.
DMc

The out side fence is 5 strands of barbed wire about 44" high with a strand of electrified high tensile at about 25" high. They don't bother the fence so we use wood post for the corners only and T-post in between. We have one of the few fences that doesn't lean.

Latest posts