Barb spacing

Help Support CattleToday:

The 5 wire lines; bottom wire 8 inches from the ground with remaining 4 wires approx. 10 inches between. The one 6 wire line; bottom wire 6 inches from the ground with remaining 5 wires approx. 8 inches between. The 4 wire cross fences; all wires 10 inches apart. And one long line along a road being woven wire with 1 top line of barbed.

Katherine

Running Arrow Bill":3vbzigh3 said:
milkmaid":3vbzigh3 said:
I have to chuckle a little at ya'll. 8 strand fence? :shock: I have a bit of everything here, wood, woven wire, barbed, wire panels, etc. One 5 strand barbed wire fence, appears to be 8-9" apart. A few 4 strand barbed wire fences around 12" apart, and then I have one pasture fenced with 3 strands evenly spaced, bottom one about 20" or so off the ground -- I usually keep 600lb'rs and over in that pasture, but I have kept 200lb calves in there without problems. Can't imagine doing an 8 strand. Probably cost about the same as just putting up 16' wire calf panels.

Yep!

Milkmaid, if you're referring to "our" fencing...

When you live on the Canada To Mexico US 83, with frontage on 83, 8 strands is just good insurance. We see hundreds of vehicles daily, including many semis, etc.

;-)

Yes I was referring to your fencing. :lol: ;-) No offense intended of course -- just seems like an awful LOT of work to put up 8 strands, besides the fact that I'm thinking an 8 strand fence would cost just as much as putting up those calf panels, wouldn't it? And from looking over my fences, the wire panels hold up better than any of my barbed wire fences.

To the others who'd mentioned fires - that makes sense now. I don't have to deal with close fires and cows getting jumpy because of it. My cows/calves are also pretty quiet, which is the reason I can keep them in a 3-strand pasture without worrying about them feeling pushed and going through or over my fence. Had a moose go over it Sunday morning, but that's another story. :lol:

milkmaid":2n223yqc said:
I have to chuckle a little at ya'll. 8 strand fence? :shock: I have a bit of everything here, wood, woven wire, barbed, wire panels, etc. One 5 strand barbed wire fence, appears to be 8-9" apart. A few 4 strand barbed wire fences around 12" apart, and then I have one pasture fenced with 3 strands evenly spaced, bottom one about 20" or so off the ground -- I usually keep 600lb'rs and over in that pasture, but I have kept 200lb calves in there without problems. Can't imagine doing an 8 strand. Probably cost about the same as just putting up 16' wire calf panels.
Gotta agree with you on that, Milkmaid. Maybe they're mini's. Man a cat could'nt get thru an 8 strand.

milkmaid":298mqwj2 said:
I can keep them in a 3-strand pasture without worrying about them feeling pushed and going through or over my fence.

I thought I was the only one that used three wire barbed fences. We only have them in a covuple of places that have nothing of interest on the opposite side.

dun

We have all hi-tensile. 4 strands on our holding lots, 3 strand on perimeter, 1 strand dividing pastures. Use 1 strand polywire to subdivide pastures as needed.
Use string to sort cattle (and also use string to keep Macho out of the bird bath sitting on top of corner post).

I used 5 strand with top wire @ 52", with 12" between it and the next one, 10" between the others.

4 strand for interior cross fences 48" high and 12" spacing.

This was with 12 1/2 gauge barbed wire.

Ok, y'all! :)

The 4x4" mesh panels are fine when seriously secured to a "fence frame"; however, there's nothing like a tight barb wire fence to hold back critters.

We raise full-sized registered Longhorn seedstock. In our fence disign/installation wanted as much "insurance" as we could reasonably get to keep our LH on "our" property and be good neighbors in a "commercial cattle area" in the Texas Panhandle. (Some ranchers are still "scared" of Longhorns)...lol.

Due to our ages, we haven't done our own fencing. Our fencing was done by a fast, reasonable, and crack livestock fencing crew that could put up 7 or 8 strands with T-posts at rate of about 100' - 150' an hour (8' T-posts driven 2.5' feet deep in our deep sand here) after welded pipe corner braces were constructed and set in concrete. This was a long-term capital investment (excluding periodic fence repairs), that will out-live both of us. Our cost has probably averaged around $2.50 a foot for L + M for our perimeter and cross fencing (plus numerous gates). Of course, our several welded pipe & rod specialized pens and corral costs considerably more.

dun":34l40s6k said:
milkmaid":34l40s6k said:
I can keep them in a 3-strand pasture without worrying about them feeling pushed and going through or over my fence.

I thought I was the only one that used three wire barbed fences. We only have them in a covuple of places that have nothing of interest on the opposite side.

dun

We have them also.... same reason... no pressure, no need for the expense ;-)

Roll of barbed wire is 1320' long and costs maybe $50. That would be around $.04 a foot, times 8 strands, equals $.32 a foot for the wire. Cheaper than panels.

Heck, a fence my neighbor put up is 9 strands of barbed wire. :shock:

Personally, I prefer 6 strands of barbed wire on interior fences, and field fence with 1 or 2 barbed strands on top for perimeter fencing.

All my perimeter fence is 5 strand starting at 52", 40", 28", 18", and bottom at 8 "

My cross fence is 4 strands 12" apart starting at 48" and some is just 2 hot wires at 36 and 18"

I am currently running a hot wire around all my fence at 18-24 " high. This seems to keep them off the fence and pushing it.

This works for me but may not work for all. I would think it depends on the temperment of your cows, if they are wild and crazy, no amount is safe.