Banner year for the Oaks

Help Support CattleToday:

MadRanchTX

Reaction score
Can't say much for the grass, but the Oaks are going to grow a foot this year due to all the fertilizer. Cows are camped out underneath them 12 hours a day.

I had one not bud out this spring, just got it cut down. 63" diameter at the base. Not sure what killed it, no rot, the entire tree was solid. Hate to see the old girl go. I would guess it was standing there before any Europeans came to this part of the world. Good news is I'm set for firewood for a couple of years. Bad news is the brush pile will probably decompose before they lift the burn ban in these parts.

MadRanchTX":19268vz0 said:
I had one not bud out this spring, just got it cut down. 63" diameter at the base. Not sure what killed it, no rot, the entire tree was solid. Hate to see the old girl go. I would guess it was standing there before any Europeans came to this part of the world. Good news is I'm set for firewood for a couple of years. Bad news is the brush pile will probably decompose before they lift the burn ban in these parts.

Burn ban? I didn't think there was any grass left to burn over your way.

Banner year for tent catapillars in the walnuts too. If you stand under one it sound like rain falling from all of their turds showering down on the lower leaves. Tent cats getting the walnuts and the 13 year ciccadas hit the oaks.

Grass, what grass? I have a 3' diameter circle of green on my entire place. Can you guess where the septic tank is? Even the weeds are dead. After the heat, wind, no rain, and grasshoppers I'm just waiting for the brimstone to start falling. Anyone know if brimstone will set the dirt on fire?

you might want to look at taking the the trunk and other straight parts of the tree to the saw mill (ours want them to be at least 11 inches across).....we had two red oaks go down from the tornado's and got $800 for the trunks (ours were about 34 inches across and would of got almost double that had we got to them before the sap settled).