Bang's vaccination

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How late can you give Bangs Vacination. I ask this because I may be getting a nice Herford that will be a year old next week. I would like to use her to breed but she has never had bangs.

I'm think that the cut off date is 1 year. I've had a few heifers that hit the ground while I was off working. Only knew their ages within a couple of weeks and then you guessed it, I got tied up again with that work thing and didn't get them to the vet until after they'd been weened and were right at a year old, still had them vacinatied. You can still buy/ keep her without the bangs vacination. If you ever sell her throught the ring then she'll get docked for being "Suspect". I'm sure that Dun, Campground Cattle, DRCattle and the other longtime posters can give you a solid answer.

rayi":2bs35byc said:
How late can you give Bangs Vacination. I ask this because I may be getting a nice Herford that will be a year old next week. I would like to use her to breed but she has never had bangs.

Vacinations are avaiable from 4 months to one year by a liscenced vet, get her in.

I found this post from March 17th. you can check out all the replies there.

;-)

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:17 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently bought a cow and just now noticed that she has 2 metal staples in her ear with numbers on one and Minn on the other. I am sure they are an ID# for something but don't really know for what. Can anybody give me any info , state ID ? Auction? She is just getting used to us getting up close enough to her to notice it now and I guess that is why I didn't notice it when I bought her.
Thanks!

TLCfromARK":3i7z3b60 said:
I found this post from March 17th. you can check out all the replies there.

;-)

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:17 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently bought a cow and just now noticed that she has 2 metal staples in her ear with numbers on one and Minn on the other. I am sure they are an ID# for something but don't really know for what. Can anybody give me any info , state ID ? Auction? She is just getting used to us getting up close enough to her to notice it now and I guess that is why I didn't notice it when I bought her.
Thanks!

In Texas the metal staple has an I/D number that is recorded by the Vet of the Bangs Vacination. Data includes owner,breed,and age. I don't know what the other states do.

rayi":241km4w3 said:
Do It now. Bangs is a federal deal. Call your state vet Monday Morning.
Vaccinate her this week.
Get your a#%& in gear.
Sorry for what may be sarcastic comments, but check oiut what could become problems before you purchase cattle,
Dun is getting busy outside. He may not helpyou save a sick calf on the spur of the moment.
Please Register so that we can better help you.
A problem in Maine if answered by a poster in Ca. probaly will not do much good.

rayi":3jjmtcq0 said:

Here is a web site ( usda ) that explains about Bangs. The way it reads is that while recommended it's not required by federal law ( see points 30 & 31)
"In many areas of the country, low herd infection rates coupled with improvement in the detection of early infection through BRT, MCI, and other surveillance systems have lessened the need to continue calfhood vaccination. Vaccination should be reduced in such areas, provided that adequate regulatory measures are in effect to prevent reintroduction of the disease. "

I think my earlier post was misunderstood. I wasn't saying don't vacinate your herd, just that you don't have to. Also that there might be a penalty later ( lower sale price or an infection in your herd ) if you don't. LA4Angus is correct in that knowing your area & the problems there will dictate what your course of action should be.

Hope it helps you.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahps/brucellosis/

;-)

rayi":1dg6rzyl said:

I got my mind right about bangs in the seventies, lost my herd to it. I worked for a large rancher part time, he had most of the Old West Ranch leased, at one time one of the largest in Texas. Now JD used to let me run my cattle with his as part of my pay. You have never been sick until you have a herd quarantined. The G man would come out test the cows and all that tested positve got branded with a B on the jaw. Talk about take a hit at the sale barn the buyers new the cattle had to be slaughtered, sometimes we got 70 dollars on 350 dollar cows. This was a long time ago and I can't remember if you had to get two or three bangs free test on the herd before you could sell for anything but slaughter. After a year JD went under hundreds of cows along with my few were taken to slaughter. I think about JD from time to time as he was my mentor in the cattle business, he would say if you aint got em you can't lose em. I read post on this board and how upset people get over losing a cow. I can't imagine what it must of been like to loose a herd that large. I don't recall JD feeling sorry for himself, a few years later he started buying cows again, it was in his blood. JD never recovered it used take us most of the day on horse to check the cows when he died you could check from the back of the truck as they came up.

Bangs is nearly eradicated. I'm not getting my heifers done, but then I don't retain any and buy mine from an outside source who is having them certified before sale. It's not mandatory anymore in Florida, but definitely recomended especially if your herd is near other herds. This is because it is hard to keep track of what your neighbors are bringing in and they could introduce it.

rayi":3151jr75 said:

Vaccination age for heifers is 4 months to 11 months. If you vaccinate too late, the heifer (cow) may give a false positive response if she's tested later for sale. Talk to the vet about that before you go ahead and have her vaccinated. OK has been bangs free for a few years now, but we still get our heifers vaccinated. Last I knew some bordering states, Texas and Missouri, were not Bangs free and people still bring cattle in from there. So we'll keep on vaccinating. It's not that expensive and it can help when you sell your cattle.

There is no treatment for Brucellosis. Prevention of Brucellosis is accomplished by official calfhood vaccination of heifer calves. Vaccination must be done by an accredited veterinarian at calf ages that vary from two to four months using standard dosage vaccine, or from 4 to 12 months using reduced dosage vaccine. Each calf must be identified as officially vaccinated in compliance with state and federal regulations. Quarantines are imposed on infected herds by state and federal authorities until the herd has been proven free of the disease

rayi":2bmt4umh said:

I would ask your Vet because not all states are the same. In Oregon the cut off is 10 months and without the bangs that heifer can't legally be transported across the state line.

Rod

Latest posts