Bangs Tag

Help Support CattleToday:

Can Good Cattle be bought at the salebarn ????

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tman

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Back in December I purchased a Cow/Calf pair at the SaleBarn. Boy, that should open up the furry. Anyway, I thought she was a good looking cow but needed some feed and attention. Here it is end of April and she is a wonderful looking cow now and her calf is out of this world. The more I look at her and compare her to other cattle I am about 99% certain that she is from Registered Angus stock.

Do you fellas know anyway of tracking her backwards by her bang tag number to find the original owner to see if she has papers?

Tman":2bqt51ea said:
Good morning all,

Back in December I purchased a Cow/Calf pair at the SaleBarn. Boy, that should open up the furry. Anyway, I thought she was a good looking cow but needed some feed and attention. Here it is end of April and she is a wonderful looking cow now and her calf is out of this world. The more I look at her and compare her to other cattle I am about 99% certain that she is from Registered Angus stock.

Do you fellas know anyway of tracking her backwards by her bang tag number to find the original owner to see if she has papers?

you should be able to use the tag to trace her as far as the owner who had her bangs vaccinated.....unless the tag is a test tag, then your search may be a little harder. if she was registered, she would probably have a tattoo in her ear. have you checked for a tattoo? remember: the tattoo in the middle right web is the bangs tattoo.

Dun correct me on this if I am wrong, but isn't the government trying to pass something to MAKE us tag ALL of our cattle right now? Maybe becuase of the whole "Mad Cow" shananagans. It could be all 'smalltalk' too.

All rise the honarable Judge Smith's court is now in session!

Judge: Mr. Doe what brings you to my court room today?

Doe: I've done something terrible sir. They beat me and bruised me to the ground!

Judge: For what reason?

Doe: I waited a year before tagging my new heifer, sir.

Judge: BLASPHEMY!!! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! LIFE IN PRISON!

Basically my point is, aren't they making it extremely hard on small town farmers lately? Maybe it's a good thing. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.

Double E Farms":1pgyng48 said:
Dun correct me on this if I am wrong, but isn't the government trying to pass something to MAKE us tag ALL of our cattle right now? Maybe becuase of the whole "Mad Cow" shananagans. It could be all 'smalltalk' too.

All rise the honarable Judge Smith's court is now in session!

Judge: Mr. Doe what brings you to my court room today?

Doe: I've done something terrible sir. They beat me and bruised me to the ground!

Judge: For what reason?

Doe: I waited a year before tagging my new heifer, sir.

Judge: BLASPHEMY!!! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! LIFE IN PRISON!

Basically my point is, aren't they making it extremely hard on small town farmers lately? Maybe it's a good thing. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.

the idea is that an animal would have to be tagged when it leaves the original ranch where it was born. the tag would then be used to track the animal through any subsequent moves. why do you think it's hard for "small town farmers" to tag their animals?

Thanx TXag,

Guess sometimes the obvious is so close we can't see it. Pastures are fairly muddy today, 3 inches of rain, will go out and look tomorrow if the sun will show. [/list]

Tman":2pjkdu43 said:
Thanx TXag,

Guess sometimes the obvious is so close we can't see it. Pastures are fairly muddy today, 3 inches of rain, will go out and look tomorrow if the sun will show. [/list]

if you find a tattoo, the bangs tag may still be the easiest way to do a trace-back. not sure about the angus assoc, but in the hereford assoc, tattoos are not animal-specific, so tracing the animal by tattoo may be kind of difficult.

tatoos aren't really animal specific they just are easy id for the breeder incase the cow or calf loses its tag

Jake":1afw650h said:
tatoos aren't really animal specific they just are easy id for the breeder incase the cow or calf loses its tag

For any Angus to be registered it is required to be ear tatooed.

la4angus":jjyv6vnn said:
Jake":jjyv6vnn said:

same for herefords.

txag":2uerlcj6 said:
la4angus":2uerlcj6 said:
Jake":2uerlcj6 said:

same for herefords.

I think that ear tatooes are required for registration in all breeds of livestock, and dogs and cats also.

la4angus":3mfv61h4 said:
txag":3mfv61h4 said:
la4angus":3mfv61h4 said:
Jake":3mfv61h4 said:

same for herefords.

I think that ear tatooes are required for registration in all breeds of livestock, and dogs and cats also.

i agree, but my original point was that tattoos are not animal-specific. two cows can have the same tattoo & trying to trace the cow back to the breeder with just a tattoo might be really difficult if not impossible.

Tman":2cwc6ece said:
Good morning all,

In OK, the state vet keeps track of which vets are issued which Bangs tags. If you can get a number off that tag, you might talk to your local vet and get some help about how to track it back to the vet who put it in. But I'd think your best bet would be to see if the sale barn could put you in contact with the seller. Or have you tried that? The tattoo probably won't help. We have two cows with the same #, one we raised and one we bought. Good luck...

Tman,

if we didn't totally confuse you w/all that. basically, if she doesn't have a tattoo other than the bangs tattoo in the middle right web, she probably isn't registered. :lol:

With Red ANgus there will be a 3 or 4 letter tattoo in one ear if she is regitered. Those letters are specific to a particular owner/breeder/herd.

dun

txag":2fw96xgw said:
Tman,

if we didn't totally confuse you w/all that. basically, if she doesn't have a tattoo other than the bangs tattoo in the middle right web, she probably isn't registered. :lol:

Brahmans don't use tatoos to register they have to be fire branded.

la4angus":3s84ui43 said:
txag":3s84ui43 said:
la4angus":3s84ui43 said:
Jake":3s84ui43 said:

same for herefords.

Tman":2qatv6m0 said:
Good morning all,

Who cares if it's registered, you really wanna go through all this work just to see if it's registered or not? And by the way cattle don't look registered, commercial cattle can be just as good or better than registered stock and i'll bet that 90% of the commercial cattle in my area are better than anyone on this boards registered cattle. The lack of logical thinking on this board is appalling to me.

BP

Guest,

You may be right this may be of little value but it makes me wonder why so many Associations exist and why so much money is spent each year to register cattle with these Associations. In my simple way of thinking if she is registered and I were to AI her with another registered animal we would have registered progeny. Correct me if I am wrong but registered quality genetics might be a good way to develop a pretty strong commercial herd. You seem to have an excellent point that registered cattle do not look registered, as you noted she may just be an excellent looking cow, then again registered cows tend not to look like nags either. Please feel free to let me know why my logic fails because that is why I am here; I hope to learn as much as I can from people like you.

Besides while the cattle grow I can run a few errands to track this down, seems more productive than watching the grass grow and I might accidentally learn something else in the process.
:lol:

Tman":2p0vmpwr said:
Guest,

You may be right this may be of little value but it makes me wonder why so many Associations exist and why so much money is spent each year to register cattle with these Associations. In my simple way of thinking if she is registered and I were to AI her with another registered animal we would have registered progeny. Correct me if I am wrong but registered quality genetics might be a good way to develop a pretty strong commercial herd. You seem to have an excellent point that registered cattle do not look registered, as you noted she may just be an excellent looking cow, then again registered cows tend not to look like nags either. Please feel free to let me know why my logic fails because that is why I am here; I hope to learn as much as I can from people like you.

Besides while the cattle grow I can run a few errands to track this down, seems more productive than watching the grass grow and I might accidentally learn something else in the process.
:lol:

Registered cattle can look like nags. Take a commercial cow and a registered cow, the commercial cow is the offspring of a registered bull (virtually all seedstock bulls are registered) and a commercial cow. The registered cow is the offspring of the same registered bull and a registered cow. The difference in production between these two cows isn't gonna be difference in genetics as it will difference in environment.

BP

You have my attention, could you elaborate a litte more on why the difference would be enviromental as opposed to getnotypical ? Thanx in advance for your help.

Latest posts