bangs disease (Brucellosis)

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankly, I don't know of any area where they can be vaccinated over 12 months of age. Either sell them or keep them and watch out for the disease, especially if one of them loses a calf. I agree with Dun, ask your vet!

> If we have heifers over a year old
> that where not vaccinated for
> bruecellosis what should we do?

they can be adult vacc. but they can only be sold in the state they were bought in.

[email protected]

> Frankly, I don't know of any area
> where they can be vaccinated over
> 12 months of age. Either sell them
> or keep them and watch out for the
> disease, especially if one of them
> loses a calf. I agree with Dun,
> ask your vet!

I just had the vet out today to bangs my fall heifers. I had one at 10 months, one week. The vet wouldn't vaccinate her. He said the cut off was 10 months in beef cattle. Are you sure it is 12 months?
> Rod

Every state is different, and frankly we don't vaccinate here in Canada--can't even get the vaccine! So I am far from an expert, but I've seen 11 month old animals vaccinated and test positive to our test. I can't remember what state they were from. When we vaccinated, it was 4-8 months ONLY.

In Texas the cut-off date is 12 months for Bangs vacc. heifers. And, why can't you get Brucellosis vaccine in Canada? Is this a British thing or doesn't Canada believe their cattle can get it????? In Texas most of us (??) are very religious in doing all possible vaccinations--small price to pay for healthy and disease-free cattle.

> I just had the vet out today to
> bangs my fall heifers. I had one
> at 10 months, one week. The vet
> wouldn't vaccinate her. He said
> the cut off was 10 months in beef
> cattle. Are you sure it is 12
> months?

I am in SE Texas and the vet told me that heifers could not be older than 10 months. A few years ago the age limit was 12 months, but apparently the "autohrities" became more and more concerned about "false positives" on cattle that were vaccinated for bangs at 12 months (or a little later) so they dropped the period to 10 months. Of course there are probably some vets that will allow you to go a little past the limit --- as well as some folks that will just plain lie to the vet about the age of the heifer.

Canada is considered brucellosis free because we participate in a TEST AND SLAUGHTER program--any animal which tests positive AND their herd of origin is slaughtered. It eliminates the problem quite effectively--and gives us cleaner stock to boot!

Latest posts