Banding

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I have a 3-day old bull calf; wondering how soon I can safely band him. Looking forward to reading your responses. Thanks

BKS

As soon as he hits the ground. It is easier after they are a week or so old. We banded some Saturday that was 6 month old. I prefer a knife if flies are not out.

I usually do it in the first day or two. But have done it at branding on the smaller ones without any problems. Try NOT to put the band tight against the body. Extra skin between the band the body makes for a smaller wound opening when it falls off. Some calves have a very small scrotum and can be very tough to have any extra skin to work with.

Don;t get too shock up about it. We band anywhere from birth to a month or so old. No problems, just takes a bander that is big enough to get over the sack AND both nuts.

Pay close attention to the advice on getting both of them.

It is best for me to catch the calf just after mom cleans him up. Right after he gets his belly full and is laid down.

I banded a calf that was a week old this spring. Man was he strong! It was all I could do to flip, hold, band and tag. At a week old he was as strong as most 120 pound humans.

HOSS":2uf5ncgf said:
I banded a calf that was a week old this spring. Man was he strong! It was all I could do to flip, hold, band and tag. At a week old he was as strong as most 120 pound humans.

They also tend to beller a lot. Bellering gets the whole herd concerned. At a week old, I'd get them behind a medina gate or in a chute

backhoeboogie":2zb7b6w6 said:
HOSS":2zb7b6w6 said:

They also tend to beller a lot. Bellering gets the whole herd concerned. At a week old, I'd get them behind a medina gate or in a chute
We just do it in the chute when they're in for the spring worming and stuff. One tails and the other bands.

I read last year that you could have faster gains by leaving them intact to around 500lbs. I did that on two batches of holstein feeders. I did not see a difference in gain, just more work to be done later.

Back to banding ASAP.

Latest posts